Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

atxdiscgolfer, here's some photos of the materials used. The pink stuff (can't remember what is exactly) went first then the chorosome, it looks purple from underneath a light. Then hackles and topped with that hair from the dollar store. Panama Red shared some of red stuff and other colors with me that I used for the collar. Can't remember what is but I think it came from a fabric store.Neat stuff. I opted for the red instead of purple for a contrasting color. The silver solder is what I wrapped the hook with, untied with minimal glue so as to remove as needed and it is needed to give the right action which I have not quite got yet. Initially I had too much wire on it and even though it popped the surface at rest it was just under the surface. The hook is Mustad Cs68 2/0

post-44758-0-36260500-1405297587_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-58000000-1405297655_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-44491900-1405297724_thumb.jpg

Love it, basically everything from the dollar store and it looks awesome and produces. i feel like a fool now for buying that $8 Blue Crab EP streamer brush this past weekend

Jack Gartside was well know for using all kinds of interesting non fly shop materials for some of his creations. I just used a little along with the other.

I just wish I hadn't given the green one to a fish so quickly. I guess my angling skills need some work now too.

If that pink 'hair' is very shiny and smooth then I have some of that lying about. Blue stuff too. Its good for winging as its quite translucent in individual strands.

Awesome baitfish Kim. I especially like the ghost hair one.

Here is a foam head diver I am experimenting with. I'm hoping the the trout dig it. I still need to test it to see the action. I basically copied the head from a freshwater diver I saw on the internet somewhere

post-18514-0-59150100-1406552141_thumb.jpg

Thank you agn54. Just got some more EP colors smile.png

That Is a big ass fly you got there. What size hook is that? ohmy.png

The fall mullet run will be starting down the beaches next month so I'll be tying a few bait fish in anticipation. The smaller ones work well for reds and trout on the flats too.

post-44758-0-86321200-1406918273_thumb.jpg

Trying to get the elbow ligaments back in form tying some flies for a saltwater swap about 10 years after being in one & realized they're not all exactly identical, so seem to have lost that commercial tying expertise even though never tied commercially. No doubt they'll still catch fish & need more physical therapy....even if these won't be sent in.

post-3688-0-21518800-1407276095_thumb.jpg