Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

Thanks Ditz,

I appreciate the input. I did dub the fly, its just a poor pic i guess.the hook is a 1/0 stainless steel. I'm not sure if i can tie a tail on this, that's something I'll have to experiment with it. Maybe if the tail comes underneath. that way it will swim like a shrimp. i'll try to figure it out. but again i really like the input , its the only way to improve.

Here is an attempt at a variation on the purple and black tarpon streamer by adding a rabbit strip inside some EP. Looked good in my aquarium. Not sure if the fish will think so. I'll have to wait about 3 months before giving it a go assuming it finally warms up in my neck of the woods.

post-50086-0-46405900-1427071790_thumb.jpg

Thats a really cool fly Mud. I like the violet a lot. Tell me : do you plan to fish that on low light?

Portlyjoe, thanks. Yep, first light in deep (10-20 feet), murky water. I have a bunch of the more standard purple and black EP flies tied black on top purple on bottom. Just wanted to try a variation with a bit more wiggle from the rabbit.

I suppose that almost everything that swims eats shrimp but I don't know if trout eat them or not but I know the ones in the ML sure liked my craft fur version. Not really my version but a copy of Lefty's craft fur shrimp

Lefty's craft fur shrimp as I tie it. This is for Portly......ignore the schminnow

post-32717-0-59498100-1427221395_thumb.jpg

post-54906-0-69654900-1427235092_thumb.jpgWow everyone is so talented here. I'm really humbled at how good some of you are. In comparison to mine, I got a long waypost-54906-0-25905800-1427235105_thumb.jpg to go it seems.

Looking good portly, however...when in the past I left the bit of hackle sticking out front it had a tendency to spin or flip. Might want to snip it. Otherwise it will catch fish.

Thanks Salty, I don't want them to spin. I didn't think about how it would drag. This is why i joined to get helpful hints. Thanks again!

I agree with Salty. That bit of "tail" extending over the hook eye might be pleasing to look at ... for us ... but I don't think the fish care. Even if it doesn't make the fly spin, it is a place for weeds to catch.

Invariably ... the one piece of moss in the whole body of water will end up stuck in there, just as you work the fly through the best looking area you've seen all day.

Here is an attempt at a variation on the purple and black tarpon streamer by adding a rabbit strip inside some EP. Looked good in my aquarium. Not sure if the fish will think so. I'll have to wait about 3 months before giving it a go assuming it finally warms up in my neck of the woods.

You might want to tie it with a purple tail and a tiny ep collar around the rabbit to prevent it from fouling but still short enough it doesn't hinder the movement of the rabbit strip, just an idea that might give a little more movement on the fly