Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

Love looking at an the great salt water ties, wish I had an excuse to tie them.

Me too. I don't get to fish salt very much and I've never caught a fish in saltwater on a fly. I've just never carried a fly rod when I went.

Yall are probably tired of seeing my beginners attempts, but I'm just excited about snook season opening. For me that counts as some saltwater fish here in the fresh.

Now that I have an excuse, i'm giving it a go at stocking up my new salt box. I used the 4 hackles for the tail like Joe used. A little hot pink hair extensions, and some ep. I used kevlar thread that I never really liked or used much. I used epoxy around the head just back to the eyes to keep a shape I liked. Owner ssw size 1.

I may have to bathtub test it tomorrow if this rain doesn't stop.

Suggestions, tips, or comments appreciated.

post-59266-0-04677100-1472704611_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-15090600-1472704625_thumb.jpg

Awesome flatting LOranga, welcome to the forum. What type of eyes are those?

​Adam, that bottom one looks like a redfish killer over in our waters.

​Great looking gurgles FlatsRoamer. Did you superglue the foam pieces together? I find that helps keep he fly together on these thicker bodied gurglers

Thanks Andy! Used feathers from a Whiting variety pack, 4 in the tail, 2 long & 2 short! Idea was to make a Magnus but differen't, got the differen't part wright!:-)

10ranga... very good looking baitfish.... Do you really need that second hook? Here in south Florida most of our predators aim at the head (and eyes) so we rarely think about a trailer hook....