Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

So I dove into the UV cement. Going to try it out. Any tips or tricks to applying it to build heads?

Go slow. There is no rush. Use fine tips and get the feel for the consistency and how well/fast it distributes. Easier to add than to remove.

Have yout bought some already, or will you?

Apply a little at a time, curing as you go...

If you are chasing the BLOB, you have applied way too much...

build up the head in stages...

don't be up close staring at the light... UV exposure can damage your eyes...

point the light at the target, turn the light on, look away or close your eyes...

fresh batteries are good... weak batteries, NOT SO MUCH...

when the cure is off, change out the batteries...

place finished phlyz in direct sunlight to be certain the cure is 100%...

Protect your eyes...!

fullsizeoutput_1620_zpsp5uplcok.png

Thanks guys. Yes, I have already purchased some. Trying the Solarez. Only because of name brand recognition probably. I use their products on my paddle board and surf board for repairs. But I have never used a light to cure and I am am usually only working on a flat surface.

I'ver heard about burning it with the light? This must be from holding the light on it too long?

I am in between Solarez and Loon. One is almost running out and the other was a Christmas present I have not used yet.

Solarez has worked great for me with a cheapo light I got from Amazon. It was $20 for the light and Solarez sampler and I have no regrets.

Never heard of burning UV resin. I just zap it for a few seconds, though.

I recently bought some UC clears from SilverCreek and very pleased with his product. Dries completely tack free and he even included a really nice laser light with my order. Plus he's a member here too.

Back to flies...

Here's one of all PB for trout, snook or tarpon and any other hungry salty predators.

post-44758-0-72893800-1517771539_thumb.jpg

OldHat, good looking flies, but then your flies always are. Thought you moved away from cold weather didn't you? Warmer out west than it should be, and the snow pack isn't looking good either. From December to end of March, the St John's River has a Shad Run. Southern most river with a run of Spawning Shad. Good fun on a 5 or 6 weight. This year has been a very good run, lots of fish spread out up river from Lake Harney. CS Lee Park on Rt 42 or Hatbull Park are 2 spots with easy access If you have a boat or Kayak.

Here's a Hy-Tie from Lefty's book Fly Fishing In Salt Water. The color pattern is my own. This is the only one that came out well enough to post. Camera problems.

post-12074-0-71635400-1518145761_thumb.jpg