Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

​Where did all the salt water advocates go? Any way, just some samples of my efforts. These are on #2 circle hooks, fished as darters in moving tide and have worked well on Mangrove's and Snook. Better on the incoming tide in Charlotte Harbor, Punta Gorda, Fl.

post-63856-0-90171200-1542472700_thumb.jpg

I've been looking at my circle hooks but haven't got round to tying flies in the yet. Do you not find fish inhale flies readily? I was concerned incase the circle gains a purchase further in to a fish. Nightmare to unhook if not in the scissors.

One thing about circles to remember - they're designed to be ingested - but not hook anything until they're on their way back out of the fish's mouth. So when (and if) you connect that hook should be in the lip or the hinge of the fish's jaw - not deep inside the fish...

Unfortunately circle hooks for fly tying.. are a solution in search of a problem... I tried them years ago and found that experienced anglers had great difficulty hooking fish with them since they're a passive hook and don't do well when someone tries to hook a fish with them.. .On the other hand, new anglers who just keep the fly moving will have some success since they don't react to a strike and that allows the hook to do its thing...

I love circle hooks for live baiting tarpon and for dead baiting a variety of other species -but not for fly tying at all... I also don't like them when we're bait fishing for big sharks... You simply can't retrieve a circle hook from a violently active shark at the boat -but with an ordinary J-hook I can retrieve almost all of the hooks we use for sharks up into the 10-11 foot category - then allow them to swim away - none the worse for the encounter...

By the way you can get the exact same "circle hook effect" by not dropping back or giving the slightest slack to a fish that's taken a live or dead bait. We simply leave those rods in the rodholder, in gear with fighting drag, until the rod bends over with fish on... But, of course that's not what you'd do if you're fly fishing....

​Where did all the salt water advocates go? Any way, just some samples of my efforts. These are on #2 circle hooks, fished as darters in moving tide and have worked well on Mangrove's and Snook. Better on the incoming tide in Charlotte Harbor, Punta Gorda, Fl.

Back when there was time for fly fishing & tying never bothered with circle hooks for harbor fishing, but tyed up enough in going offshore to flyfish for those reef donkeys, grouper & whatever else might be fun on a #13 weight.

Striper surf fishing in Northeast is under way. Lots of chances as big sandeels have moved inshore....Jiggies about 7" or Clousers tyed thin and long.

post-18342-0-29289300-1543455968_thumb.jpg

Winter has finally pushed the stripers off shore. Tying will keep me sane...red small Hollow with thin red saddles and red grizzly on top.

post-18342-0-50364100-1545971034_thumb.jpg

That would make a good shark fly (we do something similar in the same color as an orange life jacket).... We're fishing warm waters with lots of bulls, lemons, and blacktips that are homing in on carcasses hung off of my skiff in a current or while getting pushed along by the wind.

Capt. Bob that sounds like fun for sure sharks in tight... orange is a fav of bluefish. Here's a Steve Farrar (SF)Blend in herring colors for springtime bluefish. Bob Pop Hollow pattern keeps it light to throw and SF is bright. I'm sure stripers would enhale this baby too!

post-18342-0-82654200-1548040960_thumb.jpg