Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

Of all crab patterns i have experimented with... this is my all time favorite. They are cheap and quick to tye, dont retain much water, cast great and look awesome in the water... let me know what you think!

post-63888-0-15507500-1556292482_thumb.png

Of all crab patterns i have experimented with... this is my all time favorite. They are cheap and quick to tye, dont retain much water, cast great and look awesome in the water... let me know what you think!

Is that a hook that has been "bent back" or is it an optical illusion?

I am tying them for Wounded Warriors. I still need to trim them up a little more and add a little color, perhaps. Sorry, took the photos with my phone. These were tied with latch hook yarn and banded marabou. I modeled after a fleeing crab that I saw in Dr. Aaron Adams book A Fly Fisherman's Guide to Saltwater Prey. They are on a number 4 Mustad tin plated saltwater hook that I found in an unopened box at a flea market. Small lead eyes, Danville Mono thread and I superglued at almost every step for durability. I like this style of fly, I guess started by Del Brown and Steve Huff's Merkin years ago.

Classic colors from the Bob Pond Striper Swiper on a Joe Blados Crease Fly

Nice! That classic color can be the ticket for river snook at times. Especially in certain areas that get a lot of fishing pressure. They might see the classic red/white combo all day, but a red/yellow is not so common anymore. Good stuff Betty!