Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

attachicon.gif 63BF7241-6259-42F8-B05F-9CC2DD42EB3D.jpeg

My 11 year olds first flies. His very first fly I got stuck on some structure at a pond fishing for bass and broke it off. Pretty bad dad fail.

Pretty good flies, I'd say! Getting your child started in fishing and tying is a tremendous success. I still keep one of my daughter's first flies in my box.

spacer.pngI kinda varied a good bit but putting a wing on the mesh stuff looks good.   I didn’t solidify the whole body with the UV resin and put a lil gut in along with tail.   And then one turned into a bigeyed shrimp....BTW easy to thread legs/ eyes thru the mesh then zap with the Solarez.   Never really thought about eyes, legs, wings outa flex mesh except maybe crabs.   The mesh with the silver flash spiraled in it was a lucky find,   DollarTree I think.  Wonder what the mangle factor is with these extended bodies before I start making a bunch?

56CE3981-B8B6-463D-B60E-EE760420980D.jpeg

0452651C-FDFF-4A37-8735-BBED0933B8D1.jpeg

7EEAD20C-2B35-456C-8012-71DDB94197C8.jpeg

043FBEEE-28F7-4942-AD6F-B95437EAC5AC.jpeg

Nice.....love the shrimp they are perfect and BAD!!!!!!! 

I wonder if spraying the mesh with clear Plasti Dip would make it more durable?

Plasti Dip Spray Clear

Rupert Harvey uses it on his Fat Boy Mullet

Wow!   Never seen plasticoat/ plastidip or mesh that big.   Wonder if this fabric glue would substitute?  Turning it back on itself great way to create body without using lotta fiber.  I’m gonna leave the mesh plain and see how it holds up.  Problem with my first shrimp is they were long and stiff.  When shrimp are grabbed they naturally fold down.  I shortened mine and the fiber flexes so less missed strikes.Thanks for showing that.   Next problem is tying reverse ie tail forward.   My other problem now is I’m slap outa EP type fibers....

43EF5350-9B72-4E95-843E-78F9ACA73B51.png