Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

I posted this fly awhile back but it has been a good "go to fly" in the past and up to today. A simple Clouser Minnow with a grizzly feather down the side, a little flash and bucktail.

post-18342-0-53711500-1442790520_thumb.jpg

The addition of a single grizz saddle on each side of a wing has been a staple for me as well.... For years and years a Metz #2 saddle patch was all I needed (as long as I bought them in enough quantity to have the size streamer feathers needed for production work...)... Here's a few Bendbacks with the same theme....

post-30940-0-54649300-1442923614_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-98466900-1442923627_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-58001300-1442923640_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-27439800-1442923652_thumb.jpg

Hello everyone. My name is Jake and I am a student at Texas State University in San Marcos, Texas. I have been tying in and out for a few years now but since enrolling here, where the San Mo river is a mile away, I have taken up tying and fly fishing completely. My conventional gear has been stored in the garage since mid August. I tie mostly for freshwater but I have been exploring the options of salt because the saltwater grass flats are four hours away. Being my first post and not knowing the picture details, somewhere in these three are a micro-shad tied on a size 8 mosquito hook, an articulated mullet (my first one and first with the fish skulls, never could get it to sit right), and then just a regular shad that could be intermixed fresh and salt. I by no means am good in any sense of the word, but Texas fish would bite a hook with thread if presented the right way. I of course have more clousers than know what to do with, but these fish masks were awesome!

post-57249-0-55670600-1443122521_thumb.jpeg

post-57249-0-02551500-1443123002_thumb.jpgpost-57249-0-98247400-1443122963_thumb.jpg

I currently am in the market for some shrimp and crab patterns for the salt. I believe I'm dead set on the Ultra Shrimp, but any beginning crab patterns would be great to know.

Thank you all for reading and viewing.

post-57249-0-74638300-1443122990_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the site, Jake.

I am strictly fresh water, even though I am within an hour of the Atlantic and 3 hours from the Gulf.

Good luck if you head to the salt.

Hi Jake. My advice to you would be to google Youtube and tying the kinds of flies (e.g., tying shrimp fly). We have a SBS Forum but most of the flies posted in it are freshwater and the majority of those are trout flies. You'll find more relevant examples on youtube. In addition to getting a pattern, you'll also receive instructions in technique, which you should make an effort to follow. Patterns alone are good for an accomplished tyer, but most of us need to see how the ingredients are put together.

good luck.

And BTW, I know you're into crabs and shrimp but if you're fishing saltwater, there are some other very productive flies you should include, like clousers and deceivers (baitfish imitations). It's kinda hard to target a specific kind of fish like a pompano for example in saltwater. You're more likely to attract a variety of pelagic fish like specks, jacks, redfish, ... you name it.

Hey Jake. Howdy from a fellow Texan (since removed). I grew up not too far from you in Poth.

I'll give a shameless plug to my Mr. Crabs pattern that I recently posted in the SBS forum.

I'd also recommend picking up a copy of Aaron Adams' "Fly Fisherman's Guide to Saltwater Prey".

Simple Bop Pop Minnow with Fabric Fusion for a clear tough body that will not yellow, EZ Body, SBT and a little pearl flash.

post-18342-0-64270100-1443585204_thumb.jpeg

Baitfish_zpszggm1wdz.jpg

So, first post for me in some time ! Still saltwater fishing and tying, but not as much lately.

Anyway, I got tired of having toothy critters chew off the eyes on my baitfish patterns so I finally bit the bullet and got some Clear Cure Goo. Tied up a couple yesterday for practice and although I made a bit of a mess and need more reps, I thought this one turned out ok and decided to share it. I'm pleased with the eyes now, they won't be coming off after a Snook or two !!

About 4" overall, so a good general pattern for SW Florida.

Cheers.....Fred

Sure, no problem.

Hook: Mustad 34007 #1

Tail: Schlappen feathers, 2 /side + Crystal Flash

Body: Palmered EP Sparkle Brush

Back: Deadly Dazzle, Mullet Brown

Throat: Red Marabou

Finish: 2 Coats of CCG, 1 coat of Hard as Nails