Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

I've tried spinning body hair, but my patterns never really called for deer hair. If I wanted to spin, like for the muddler, would body hair be best for spinning?

I've tried spinning body hair, but my patterns never really called for deer hair. If I wanted to spin, like for the muddler, would body hair be best for spinning?

Belly hair is the best for spinning and stacking, it makes nice dense heads and stiff collars. Not to mention the colors are better as they are died over white and not brown.

Belly hair is also longer. I spin body and belly hair. Best is relative to the results your looking for. Belly hair flairs straighter cause it's coarser. Body hair flairs at a lesser angle and is softer with finer tips. It all spins it's more what your looking for in the finished fly.

Estaz slider. Would be orange but the stupid post office delivered the package to somewhere other than my mailbox. Anyways, used a smaller than called for chartreuse estaz.

post-52832-0-96356400-1472119281_thumb.jpg

(Had an idea to call Trump a supporter, but my camera sucks...)

post-52832-0-25552800-1472119408_thumb.jpg

Get it?

If you are talking large 2/0 salwater flies like the Gartside beastmaster or Popovics Bulkhead then you might use white or dyed belly hair but in general most muddlers (size 6 and smaller) are tied in a natural body (from the rump or shoulders) hair or what is known as all purpose deer hair. Whitetail Fly Tieing dot com has a huge selection of hair and they used to have detailed explanations of what hair was right for what application. Searching the site is a pain but you can download the pdf catalog. From pages 248 thru 264 is just tieing hair and that doesn't include the custom cut hair they sel. You don't need to purchase anything from them but by looking at the catalog you get a sense of the types of hair and you can search on "muddler".

Flats,

For muddler types I use natural whitetail hair. One clump with all the tips and one without. The first gives you the collar, the second makes the head, after triming.

The belly hair I have is good for much bigger bugs, not somuch for muddlers.

They look nice Flats, love the look of that fly! But the head looks massive! Have you thought about using 0.10 mono then cover the head with 70d? Try to have that whole eye visable! Not trying to bit your head off! Smaller head & whole eye showing then your the man!

Nee looking flies Flats! I agree with Adam, try using a few less wraps before tying in the weed guard. You dint need t have every single but of buck tail covered before adding he next step.

Here is one with a little bit of meat on it

post-18514-0-68467700-1472313618_thumb.jpg

Managed an hour before high tide to do a little light rock fishing using jigs I tied.

Juvenile cod and Pollock the result. 20fish over the hour wasn't bad.post-42518-0-22357500-1472332397_thumb.jpg

post-42518-0-12457900-1472332433_thumb.jpg

First tie with Congo Hair. It is not exactly like EP, but I can't put my finger on it yet.

The pure white is EP. Seems slightly more straight.

post-52874-0-00190300-1472390729_thumb.jpeg