Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

Adam

How much longer do you have to fish there before the weather shuts you down? What all do you fish for other than Pike? Do you ice fish? Just curious.

Kudu! It all depends on weather, haven't been out in a couple of weeks, everytime i had time it was to windy, just never catch pike when the sea is chopy! It's been -5c for a few days with some snow but waters open, cold enough now for coastal seatrout fishing, plan to go friday after work? 1hr drive to the place but not fare in a straight line! This year is the first year we've had our fishery closed for spawning, was to be only september & october, but changed to november too! Hope to still get seatrout, salmon & whitefish start of december! Not interested in icefishing! Trout & grayling are not in the area where i live, but there is another fishery with stocked rainbows & also chub!

Well, the barb does add that little bit of sparkle that gets the fish's attention, Adam. But the tie is good looking, too.

Here's my version of Matthews Turneffe crab.... Done up on a size #4 hook with the added "outrigger style" weedguard (my very own improvement). At one time I had a pretty steady order for this pattern in sizes from #6 up to #2 in four different colors.... but that was a few years back... I called my version the Spider Crab - but it's clearly just a copy of Matthew's outstanding pattern....

post-30940-0-80683200-1478693260_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-17150500-1478693281_thumb.jpg

You guys are nuts, out fishing in -5 centigrade weather.

That is 23 farenheit, all y'all.

Maybe the salt water keeps the fly line from freezing in the guides; out here in northern Wyoming and southern Montana we stop when it reaches 10° F. Then we go ice fishing,however, my idea of ice fishing is sucking a cube from a large scotch and soda.

The color on any flats type fly, where you're going to fishing it right on the bottom (shrimp, crab, worm patterns) should match the bottom since that's what the shrimp and crabs do (they do their best to blend in...). At least that's my take on it... There are certainly times when having a real contrast between your fly's color and the bottom color - but not that often in my experience.

By the way, as much as we all like color on our flies, lures, etc... what color the fish actually see below the surface might be dramatically different. A quick "for instance" is that the brightest red - looks black just a few feet down into the water.