Fly Tying
hairwing

Ooops.......

According to the law, yes ... unless it's from one of the few game birds or "not protected" species.

You can't do this anymore ...

"Yankee Doodle went to town,

A-riding on a pony.

Stuck a feather in his cap,

And called it macaroni!"

let me see if i have this right. if i was out fishing, picked up a feather and stuck it in my hat; i could be charged?

Yes!

Only domestic fowl can be used for decoration. There is a special exception, in the law, allowing the use of game birds for fly tying, but you still can't use them for decoration -- unless you are a "native American." (That could start another discussion.)

Actually, to be clear, accurate, safe, realize that all protected birds are specified under some law. The Migratory bird Treaty Act, for example, specifies by a list what birds are protected (50 CFR 10.13). If you want to know the status of birds in your area, best query your state game and fish department. There may be state laws in addition to federal (which only cover migratory species anyway).

There is no "omnibus" law that protects everything that flies, it's just that there are so many birds protected under one act or the other, it doesn't pay to take chances.

If a species is a federally protected species, one may not possess in any form or in any part feathers or parts of the bird. That includes road kill. It does not matter whether you had a part in killing the bird.

i'm all for wildlife protection, but this seems to be a little heavy handed. here in Ontario, there is only a ban on selling wildlife parts.

as far as a Conservation Officer looking at and searching my fly boxes,,,, it ain't happening. answering questions about flies, species being hunted for, the who, what,why,,,, it ain't happening. protecting and exercising my rights, your darn tooting, 24/7/365. i don't care if it is LPD, OPP, RCMP, or a ministry C/O; a cop is a cop. i refuse to answer any questions or consent to anything. cops don't like peeps that know their rights, and typically move on pretty quick.

note: don't smirk or smile til the LEO leaves. they get pissed as it is to losing control of the situation, and being schooled by a civilian.

There is some confusion here. Now I'm not talking about "Song Birds" here. The're totally off limits. All of them except European starling and English house sparrow. I'm talking about birds you can legally hunt. There is a difference between "Game birds" and Migratory Birds".

I can shoot a pheasant or quail and do anything I want with the feathers. By Law! It's migratory birds that you cannot display or use for decoration, that is to be sold! You CAN by law use wild migratory bird feathers for fly tying. Is one of the exceptions in the law. That and pillow stuffing. If I shoot a mallard and put one of its feathers in a picture frame and sell it, I just broke the law. If I take that same feather, tie it to a hook, put it back in the same picture frame and sell it, I am NOT breaking the law. Crazy I know. It is in the form of a fly now. I spent hours on the phone with federal Wildlife and Parks on this. Asked him that very question. I can put a thousand mallard curly tails in a frame and keep it, forever. I can "give" it to a friend, donate it to a museum, but I cannot sell it. If I shoot a duck and have it mounted, I cannot sell it in a garage sale years down the road when I'm tired of it. Anyone questions me on this I will be glad to give them the number and the agents name I talked too. I have a file at home on this subject. p.s. Before you argue me on any of this please call the Federal Wildlife and Parks Department first. I don't want to debate on this. Everything I said here came from them.

So personally I didn't think the #1 post would turn into this legal debate, but it sure opened up quick in that direction. My thoughts on exotic fly tying materials is something I learned early on and it's based solely on supply. I'm simply not even interested in material that will not tie the flies I use again and again and again. I've found renewable cheap materials have best served me over a life time of tying. When materials get in short supply the prices skyrocket and are not worth the cost ! I gave up on the venerable Muddler Minnow because mottled oak turkey feathers went to 6 bucks a pair, that was 40 years ago. Polar Bear and Seal prices were ridiculous; and you would only get a small....very small amount of material to tie your flies. Cock necks prices drove us to the "no-hackle" flies....and beware the synthetics also, a case in point is Zelon. The manufacturer stopped making it and because of it's press by the fly tying illuminate it became the material you couldn't get by without for killer flies...the price went way too high.

Starling and Pheasant have always been there for me. Price wise and it's availability. Hare's mask is a good one too along with good ole cheap India cock necks.

In my on case I wouldn't have to worry about the MBTA and the legal status of feathers because I will simply not use fly tying material which I can't replenish at a reasonable cost. Finding a feather on the trail of let's say a protected Hawk, while it might be attractive in a fly tying kinda way, does not interest me at all because the feather will only tie a few flies and the cost of replacement would be outrageous. It is in this regard that the law has done it intended job....so be it.

Me thinks I won't pick up any more Osprey feathers and stick them in my hat and get it called "misdemeanor"!

Seriously I doubt a game officer is very concerned about a couple feathers. However if he found a whole dead osprey in my truck......cuff time.

Nice fly hairwing

The WSBA (World Song Bird Assoc.) and the NAGW (National Assoc. of Game Wardens) recently met in Grayling ,MI to discuss the issue of how to deal with these bird poaching fly-fishermen and their blatant disregard for song birds. It is estimated that an average fly-tyer/ fisherman will use a whole song bird skin and, in severe cases, two skins in his lifetime just to make tiny flies. This has got to stop! You can just imagine the devastation they are causing. They believe that taking feathers from dead birds is a gateway crime to even more serious offenses like clipping hair from pets or trying to run over animals on the roadways just to harvest their hides.

I propose that we join with our bird loving brothers and sisters to bring an end to this unmitigated slaughter of our sweet singing winged friends. I will be starting the Fishermen United against Canary Killers (FUCK). We shall be known as the (fuck)er brigade.

Please join me in this valiant effort to stamp out this insidious wanton disregard for life.

That being said, I've found that most "wild" small bird feathers are somewhat useless for tying flies.

1) Some feathers are too stiff ... being actual "practical use" feathers and not decorative ones that we tie with.

2) Most of the feathers are too small to be useful. You might be able to do fins on a Pat Cohen style "bluegill" or something, but there's not enough to wrap around a hook or even to make a decent length tail.

3) Both of the above only matter if you get a pristine feather. By the time you pick on off the ground, one of two things apply.

1. It's a molted feather ... it's "worn out" and broken.

2. It's from a dead bird, and bugs and bacteria have started eating the fibers.

So, they look pretty in a vase ... but not very practical for tying.

I completely disagree with this. Almost any feather can be used to tie flies, even the ones you harvest off the ground. You just have to have a wide arsenal of flies to choose from. You you are tying bass flies and bass flies only, you might run into issues, but for the most part, you should be able to find a use for a feather. I do this all the time.

let me see if i have this right. if i was out fishing, picked up a feather and stuck it in my hat; i could be charged?

That's how it works. They have no way of knowing if you killed a bird or found it so to make it simple they outlaw possession of certain feathers, it's annoying but those are the rules!

That being said, I've found that most "wild" small bird feathers are somewhat useless for tying flies.

1) Some feathers are too stiff ... being actual "practical use" feathers and not decorative ones that we tie with.

2) Most of the feathers are too small to be useful. You might be able to do fins on a Pat Cohen style "bluegill" or something, but there's not enough to wrap around a hook or even to make a decent length tail.

3) Both of the above only matter if you get a pristine feather. By the time you pick on off the ground, one of two things apply.

1. It's a molted feather ... it's "worn out" and broken.

2. It's from a dead bird, and bugs and bacteria have started eating the fibers.

So, they look pretty in a vase ... but not very practical for tying.

I completely disagree with this. Almost any feather can be used to tie flies, even the ones you harvest off the ground. You just have to have a wide arsenal of flies to choose from. You you are tying bass flies and bass flies only, you might run into issues, but for the most part, you should be able to find a use for a feather. I do this all the time.

Since my comment was based on my own observations, and since you weren't there to observe what I did, you can't disagree with me without calling me a liar ... saying I didn't observe what I am saying I did.

I can tie a fly with anything, too, but that doesn't mean the fly will be anything special or even useful for fishing. I guess they'd more like yours.