Fly Tying
hairwing

Ooops.......

Since my comment was based on my own observations, and since you weren't there to observe what I did, you can't disagree with me without calling me a liar ....

I have to agree with Mike on this point. We need to be a bit more careful how we word our responses. A little mutual respect, please!

That being said, I've found that most "wild" small bird feathers are somewhat useless for tying flies.

1) Some feathers are too stiff ... being actual "practical use" feathers and not decorative ones that we tie with.

2) Most of the feathers are too small to be useful. You might be able to do fins on a Pat Cohen style "bluegill" or something, but there's not enough to wrap around a hook or even to make a decent length tail.

3) Both of the above only matter if you get a pristine feather. By the time you pick on off the ground, one of two things apply.

1. It's a molted feather ... it's "worn out" and broken.

2. It's from a dead bird, and bugs and bacteria have started eating the fibers.

So, they look pretty in a vase ... but not very practical for tying.

I completely disagree with this. Almost any feather can be used to tie flies, even the ones you harvest off the ground. You just have to have a wide arsenal of flies to choose from. You you are tying bass flies and bass flies only, you might run into issues, but for the most part, you should be able to find a use for a feather. I do this all the time.

Since my comment was based on my own observations, and since you weren't there to observe what I did, you can't disagree with me without calling me a liar ... saying I didn't observe what I am saying I did.

I can tie a fly with anything, too, but that doesn't mean the fly will be anything special or even useful for fishing. I guess they'd more like yours.

The only reason I responded is because I saw your statements written in a very "absolute" manner. I was just saying that I disagreed with your statement, which I am entitled to do. I realized I typed You you are tying bass flies and bass flies only but it should say "If you are tying bass flies and bass flies only..." There was no personal attack, nor was I calling you a liar. I guess you can try to draw conclusions from what I wrote, but then you are putting words in my mouth.

Are you suggesting that my flies are not useful for fishing?

Trying to sort out the ambiguity here...

I guess we'll never know

Ok... I get it. Because I disagreed with you my flies suck. I'm good with that.

Now back to the feather topic.

Some of my best goose biots come from golf courses that have large populations of Canada Geese. Some of my best stillwater flies are tied with a long soft hackle from Coot sheds. Starlings (as mentioned earlier) make great midges similar to the Syl's Midge...

ya'll need to nut up...more estrogen in here right now than at a tupperware party

If everyone agreed with everyone, we wouldn't ever more forward