Fly Tying

Here is a video and infographic we created to detail our approach to fishing for trout using spinning gear. Normally, we use fly fishing gear but we do like to have spinning gear at the ready! Do stay tuned... we plan to demo this strategy on our next trout fishing trip hopefully in the near future! Includes mention of Bubble Fly Rigs and having fishing flies at the ready!

huh.png If you need a "strategy" to go fishing, you're working! wink.png

My strategy is:

Question 1: Is Wife okay with me going fishing? 1) yes ... go fishing 2) no ... do something that irritates her until she TELLS me to go fishing.

Question 2: Are the fish hitting? 1) Yes ... go fishing. 2) Don't know ... go fishing to find out. 3) No ... "How do they know?" ... go fishing to prove them wrong.

Question 3: What are they hitting? 1) What I've got tied on ... keep using it. 2) NOT what I've got tied on ... tie something different on.

huh.png If you need a "strategy" to go fishing, you're working! wink.png

My strategy is:

Question 1: Is Wife okay with me going fishing? 1) yes ... go fishing 2) no ... do something that irritates her until she TELLS me to go fishing.

Question 2: Are the fish hitting? 1) Yes ... go fishing. 2) Don't know ... go fishing to find out. 3) No ... "How do they know?" ... go fishing to prove them wrong.

Question 3: What are they hitting? 1) What I've got tied on ... keep using it. 2) NOT what I've got tied on ... tie something different on.

That works!

Starting the New Year on the right track, solved a fishing dilemma in hypertime! The dilemma - two fly rods, but only one fly reel. The fix - bought a new one of course but... bought it at 60% off fro Orvis, using a Christmas Gift Card! Here's to 2020!

Package arrived from Orvis. Ordered the Hydros SL1 Fly Reel that was on sale at a 60% discount! Planned to mount it on the Cabelas 2wt CGR Fly Rod. Looks awesome... have a WF 2wt fly line that is delivering next week. Hope to try it out soon after it arrives.
Cool looking reel, with a reel pouch to store it in and a tool to switch the retrieve from left to right and vice versa.Do stay tuned, will post a follow-up video fishing with it and possibly catching a fish or two with it! Hydros SL1 Fly Reel Unboxing! #flyfishing #orvis

Been itching to get more underwater action shots while fishing. Since losing the Waterwolf Camera last year, it has been a bust. But, putting on the thinking cap, came up with a mount for the GoPro... since it's still in the works, we called this one prototype 1.

This video is the field test of prototype 1, have already made adjustments and prototype 2 is ready to go. Just got to find time to test it out in the field. Do check back, will get it tested and hopefully show some underwater fishing action!

If prototype 2 works well, will post a how to video!

Starting the New Year on the right track, solved a fishing dilemma in hypertime! The dilemma - two fly rods, but only one fly reel. The fix - bought a new one of course but... bought it at 60% off fro Orvis, using a Christmas Gift Card! Here's to 2020!

Package arrived from Orvis. Ordered the Hydros SL1 Fly Reel that was on sale at a 60% discount! Planned to mount it on the Cabelas 2wt CGR Fly Rod. Looks awesome... have a WF 2wt fly line that is delivering next week. Hope to try it out soon after it arrives.
Cool looking reel, with a reel pouch to store it in and a tool to switch the retrieve from left to right and vice versa.Do stay tuned, will post a follow-up video fishing with it and possibly catching a fish or two with it! Hydros SL1 Fly Reel Unboxing! #flyfishing #orvis

Almost there.... New fly line delivered the other day at the Cabelas in Allen. Picked it up but this cold and the recent storms has yours truly sidetracked. Do hope to be fishing a pond sooner than later with the Cabelas CGR 2wt Fiberglass Rod and Orvis Hyrdos SL1 soon!

Starting to get over a cold, finally able to make it to the local pond and flex the little 2wt fiberglass flyfishing combo - Cabelas 2wt CGR 6'2" fly rod and Orvis Hydros Sl1 2 wt. Tied several tenkara fishing flies and constructed a 7 foot tapered leader using a 30lbs, 15lbs, and 6lbs mono recipe.

Combo cast easily; reel is lined with Cabelas Prestige Plus 2wt WF floating line. Able to cast 30 plus feet and more without effort. The fish were lurking near the banks and in the feeder creek. No long cast were needed but was good to know the combo could deliver distance if needed.

Midway through the trip, discovered I had missed the first rod guide in my haste to go fishing... going to blame it on the medicine that I am on. LOL! Overall liking this lightweight combo... makes for a fun fight with little bass and bluegill! Fun stuff...!

Missing the Waterwolf Camera. Trying another test of the GoPro setup for underwater action shots of fish. So far, gotta a ways to go. Think this will be a temp solution for now while we search for a replacement to the Waterwolf. Main reason we liked the Waterwolf was the ease of deployment and the video of the action happening even when the bite was slow.

Past lessons learned... Turtles are fast and can steal your bait easily without getting hooked. And, Catfish and Bass will strike a live bait multiple times before finally take the bait! Do check out the video; included clips from the turtles, bass, and catfish action from the Waterwolf for reference!

While surfing the net, checked out Texas Fishing Forum's fly fishing thread. Noted a question that got our attention.

"How do I know if a cut off to much of my fly line........? I’m a newbie and I’m wondering if I cut off to much. I am also looking for some lessons. I want to fish for trout in the future so I want to be able to lay the line down on the water softly. Thanks in advance"

This video provides our suggestions and fits our Team's goal... "Learn to fish by our trials and errors" which we have made lots of errors over the years. Short answer to the question... "Don't cut your fly line... Please!"

After several weeks, finally able to get a round of trout fishing in. Headed to Caruth Park Saturday - January 25, 2020, to demo the Trout Fishing 1,2,3 Strategy where we fish with Spinning Gear.

Able to find the pattern but failed to limit out... missed several hooksets and then the Cormorant showed up to put the trout down. No worries though; got enough video to demo the strategy! Trout Fishing Spinning Gear Demo #troutfishing #fishing

Did note others did not catch them on the fly... bummer. Still a good trip!

This round we provide details on the nail knot tying tool, and how we use it to connect our fly line to our leader. The video is pre-recorded and is a demo where we use it to tie a line strike indicator. But, it does double duty in it's the same method used for tying a nail knot variant. The difference is the line strike indicator used a hi vis dacron fly line backing, and the nail knot variant uses 30lbs mono. Do stay tuned for more Live Q&A Chat sessions in the future!