Fly Tying

On the road, coming back from fishing the Blue River in Oklahoma. Caught longear perch and a shiner looking fish.  Will have a video out later. For now, here is a quick update!

Blue River Fishing | Preseason Scouting Trip

Decided to make the run to the Blue River for a preseason fishing trip. Trout are scheduled to be stocked in the near future. Best to checkout the river and see if anything has changed.

Was a great trip. Did not catch any big ones but did have fun catching a fish or two while scouting the river! River was looking really nice, and the weather was even nicer.

Fished with the Discount Switch Rod - 2wt Maxcatch Fly Rod with Hydros SL1 Reel with OPST Commando Head (mentioned Rio Trout Max in the video... it's the OPST).

Also, the Tandem Rig Fishing Fly setup worked on the fish, hope it works on trout in the next few weeks. Do keep the Blue River in your back pocket this coming Trout Stocking Season!

#maxcatch #switchrod #opstcommandohead

Fly Fishing Tips from the Little Red Book of Fly Fishing | iFishNews Fishing Podcast 28

Number 8 in the "Little Red Book of Fly Fishing" podcast series where I review fly fishing tips in preparation for the upcoming Trout Stocking Season. This week it's fly fishing tips 29 through 32!

Tip 29: Control Trumps Distance
Tip 30: Pinkie Perfection
Tip 31: Cast Around Problems
Tip 32: Make Friends with the Wind

Do check it out, and do check back for the next episode for tips 33 - 36!
Tip 33: Wind Knots and the Big Bang Theory
Tip 34: Fast Rods Cover Casting Flaws
Tip 35: The Double Haul
Tip 36:  Just a Flick of the Wrist

Good Luck and Good Fishing!

Listen on iFishNews Fishing Podcast

spacer.png

Fishing the Blue River in Oklahoma for trout is just around the corner. Time for a #TBT to last year -  March 2019, fishing for trout. Trout seemed bigger than we thought at first but they were only slightly larger than the normal stockers. Still a good time... plus able to have some tasty chicken from the Colonel's #KFC buffet! Fun times fly fishing with the #opstcommandohead as well as ultralight spinning gear using split-shot and PowerWorms! Check it out for some TBT action in 2019!

Blue River Oklahoma Fishing | Fly Tying Three Fishing Flies
Blue River in Oklahoma gets its trout stocking next week! Hoping to breakaway and get a round of fishing in! In preparation, time for some fly tying sessions. Here are three patterns we like to have at the ready in our fly box. Do check it out, and do see the bonus at the end on the fly box we are using to store the fishing flies from this session!

Blue River Oklahoma Fishing | First Trout Limit for 2020-2021 Season!

Fun time fishing the Blue River in Oklahoma. Recently stocked with Rainbow Trout, made the run across the border from Texas to Oklahoma for a go at the trout. Olive Near Deere and Tandem Rigged flies seemed to get a strike or two... after yours truly shook off the missed strikes and hooksets.  Good thing I got my mojo back and was able to get a limit to start the 2020-2021 trout stocking season. Longer than normal video but add footage exploring the area near Hughes Crossing and playing with the trout in the clear water by the Low Water Crossing. Do check it out! Hope to be back for more trout fishing fun on the Blue River!

Fly Fishing Tips from the Little Red Book of Fly Fishing | iFishNews Fishing Podcast 29

https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-jxfjs-f15f59

Number 9 in the "Little Red Book of Fly Fishing" podcast series where I review fly fishing tips in preparation for the upcoming Trout Stocking Season. This week it's fly fishing tips 33 through 36!

Tip 33: Wind Knots and the Big Bang Theory
Tip 34: Fast Rods Cover Casting Flaws
Tip 35: The Double Haul
Tip 36:  Just a Flick of the Wrist

Do check it out, and do check back for the next episode for tips 37 - 40!
Tip 37: Remove the Shackles
Tip 38: Lose the Tailing Loop
Tip 39: Fish Like a Snake
Tip 40:  Will Your Casts

Good Luck and Good Fishing!

spacer.png

DIY Wooden Trout Net | Do Over Anyone?

Had some issues with the DIY Wooden Trout Net that I made several seasons back. In colder weather the lacing tended to become stiff and did not open up well. Sure enough the trout were able to jump out of the net and back into the water.

Decided to order a net from Amazon.  Net arrived yesterday, and in short order and a few zip ties later, I have a net that will definitely hold a fish or two! Do check out the video, added pictures at the end of the "Do Over" variation of the original net. Plus added a snippet of the video from the original net.

Fun time on the Blue River in Oklahoma fishing for Rainbow Trout. Plan was to catch dinner. Struck out in the morning; decided to head to the catch and release section for some fly fishing fun. Editing the video still but here is a snippet to update viewers. Video snippet.

cjbfO8OBWqA.png

Chillin with the ukulele while having a glass of wine and giving an update on this past Saturday's trip to the Blue River. Rubber Legged Near Deere was one to have had handy in the fly box! Still working on the video from Saturday, stay tuned!

Another Winter trout stocking season is fast approaching! Like in past seasons, yours truly modified the schedule posted by TPWD to sort by Stocking Date and the count of trout stockings planned for a location and its estimated trout to be stocked.

Makes for ease of reference by allowing Readers to quickly see when the next trout stocking is planned. As changes are unexpected for various reasons like weather, do check for updates, changes, and corrections at TPWD’s website – 2020-2021 Trout Stocking Schedule.

Modified PDF Schedule.

Blue River Oklahoma | Fishing the Catch and Release Section!

Fished the Blue River in Oklahoma last Saturday - November 7. Plan was to fish the Hughes Crossing area for trout to make another catch and cook. Struck out though. That said, made the run North of HWY 7 and fished the Catch and Release Section. After a wrong turn or two, made it to the area and had a fun time catching, losing, and landing a trout or two.

Did see an armadillo on the walk back to the parking area, and stopped by the Fly Library to add a fishing fly or two to collection. Overall, a great time on the Blue River!

PS: Longer than normal video, have key points noted in the video for reference.Hughes Crossing: 1:06
Walking In to the C&R: 2:09
Fly Library Stop Inbound: 2:57
Fishing the C&R: 4:49
First Trout Caught: 6:52
Fishing and Missing Trout: 10:49
View of Retrieve Used: 17:20
Walking Out of the C&R: 18:29
Armadillo: 18:50
Lesson Learned - Go Left not Right: 19:54
FYI - Post Marker: 20:21
FYI - Go Right not Left: 22:37
Fly Library Stop Outbound: 21:26

That water does look good.  I like the fishing parts.  Since I'm in the living room with Wife, I have the volume off.  Fast forwarded through the non-fishing parts.

21 hours ago, mikechell said:

That water does look good.  I like the fishing parts.  Since I'm in the living room with Wife, I have the volume off.  Fast forwarded through the non-fishing parts.

Cool! Hope to be out there again tomorrow!