Fly Tying

DIY Dual BFS and Micro Fly Rod | Pond Fishing for Bluegill

First trip using the DIY Dual BFS and Micro Fly Rod as a micro flyrod, fishing for Bluegill at a local pond. After a slow start was able to catch a few fish using a Near Deere. Used a strike indicator at first, and then removed it once I noticed the fish were chasing the fishing fly.

The Echo Ion 2/3wt fly reel with 2wt WF fly line worked well. Able to cast for distance as needed and maintain control. Do have to wait on the backcast as the rod has a slow action.

Also, had to use the left hand to increase line speed much like I do with other micro fly rods. 

Overall, liking the DIY Dual BFS and Micro Fly Rod.  Plan to keep the Kastking Zephyr BFS Reel and the Echo Ion 2/3wt in my fishing jacket for these local ponds.  Can switch from BFS to Micro Fly Fishing and back again in short order!

PS: Slowed the video at several points to demo how I watch the line to set the hook when not using a strike indicator.

Pond Fishing with the Dual DIY BFS Micro Fly Rod | Kastking Zephyr BFS Reel This Round!

Fishing updates and related activities from the Team! Back out to the local pond for more BFS fishing with the DIY Dual BFS Micro Fly Rod.  This time, we opt for the Kastking Zephyr BFS reel.  Do have the Echo Ion 2/3wt and fishing flies handy in case we want to switch to Micro Fly Fishing!

YouTube #shorts | DIY Cedar Popper | BFS Lure

YouTube Shorts video of a quick trip to the local pond testing the DIY Cedar Popper made using cedar fence planking. Quick build and a quick paint job for a quick trip to test the popper. Had one Bass take the lure, but missed the hookset.  Do check back as we try to catch a fish with this BFS lure - weighs 1/10oz!

Pond Fishing with the Dual DIY BFS Micro Fly Rod | Kastking Zephyr BFS Reel and a Rapala Husky Jerk Works for Little Bass!

Out and about yesterday trying for Bass using the Cedar Plank Lure. Temps still too cool for a consistent top water bite. But, all was well BFS fishing a Rapala Husky Jerk for little bass! Key retrieve was to use a jerky action and pause waiting for strikes on the pause or shortly after resuming the retrieve again!

Fly Fishing for Bass | MaxCatch 2wt Discount Switch Rod Still Works....

Fishing updates and related activities from the Team! Fished the local pond for Bass. Decided on fly fishing gear instead of BFS.

Recalled past trips where I fished the flats at Bethany, no luck there and lost my foam spider. Luckily, did remember a Near Deere worked well on Bass in the Main pond.

Tied on a Rubber Legged Near Deere and caught several Bass, most were larger than the Bass caught earlier in the week!

Some small but chunky bass.  They look healthy and well fed.  Gotta be some bigger ones in there!

I can honestly say, I don't like that "fly/curl in" font.  The font's okay, the fly in part is irritating. 

3 hours ago, mikechell said:

Some small but chunky bass.  They look healthy and well fed.  Gotta be some bigger ones in there!

I can honestly say, I don't like that "fly/curl in" font.  The font's okay, the fly in part is irritating. 

Thanks mikechell! Will keep it in mind for future videos.

Getting Started Fly Fishing | Casting Quality Fly Line with a Bamboo Stake...?

That time of year when fishing questions start coming in. This one relates to getting started in fly fishing - specifically, our thoughts on budgeting for a fly rod/reel combo.

In this video, the introduction has a past video playing in the background... yours truly is casting a OPST Commando Head and no rod or reel at the local pond. It's a quality line that makes for some nice casting especially when our backcast is clobbered.

Then, I describe a fly line that I will demo casting using a bamboo stake like the ones used to support tomato plants in a garden.

If a quality fly line can be cast using a stiff bamboo stake, then a good fly rod should easily cast the same fly line.

PS: Our suggestion has remained constant over the years... in general, we like to first purchase a quality fly line, then will buy the fly rod, and then either buy the reel last or repurpose one we already have.

That is, unless we are planning to use the new fly rod/reel combo for larger fish that require a good drag for fighting on the reel, then we will buy the reel before the rod or repurpose a rod we already have.