Fly Tying

8 hours ago, fshng84 said:

Vintage Bamboo Fly Rod

Nice find.   I have a couple South Bend bamboo rods, nice rods IMHO, when you can get them a good price. I find the thing to be most mindful of with SB is drying out of the thread wraps and glue for the ferrules/reel seat. The cane itself is usually pretty solid. 

13 hours ago, niveker said:

Nice find.   I have a couple South Bend bamboo rods, nice rods IMHO, when you can get them a good price. I find the thing to be most mindful of with SB is drying out of the thread wraps and glue for the ferrules/reel seat. The cane itself is usually pretty solid. 

Thanks! Yes, the thread wraps and ferrule glue need to be checked.

Was out fishing the other day when something splashed in front of me. Was not sure but figured it was a Bass. Checked out the video; it was a Bass chasing a Bluegill.... who won?

This $2 Lure Works, and an Inline Spinner | Plus Cool Video of a Bass Chasing a Bluegill!

Here is the second in the $2 BFS Lure Series where I fish discount lures using ultralight baitcasting gear. 

First round, I fished a Crawdad. This time, I fish a hard bait that looks like a Yo-Zuri lure.

I started out fishing a Chartreuse one but switched to an Inline Spinner because the pond had lots of greenery fouling the lure.

Soon after, a Bass chased a Bluegill into the shallows directly in front of me. Got some cool video of it! That said, I cast the spinner and caught a Bass... may have been the one that was chasing a Bluegill!

Afterwards, I lost the spinner to a Tree Fish. I decided to go back to the $2 Lure but went with a White one. I also removed the rear hook and left the front hook on in hopes of fouling the lure less.

It did work, caught a Bass and also lost one! I learned a stop and go retrieve works well, and watched a Bass swallow the lure... I set the hook but did not land it.

Fun times... to check back, playing around with another $2 Lure... another Yo-Zuri imitation that looks very similar to a Snapbean!

TBT to a trip to the Lower Mountain Fork River fishing for trout at Beavers Bend State Park in Oklahoma. Was a fun time with warm temps but cool waters and lots of trout in the River!

Round 3 of the $2 BFS Lure Series. This one has yours truly struggling fishing an imitation Snapbean. After using less line on the reel and tweaking the magnetic breaks, was able to cast the lure well. Just need to pay attention to casting into the wind... may lead to a backlash so be careful.

https://youtu.be/YTh9nSxrspc

Fishing for Bass aka Green Trout with the old Bamboo Fly Rod. Fish are picky, went with a strike indicator and nymph.  Thought the Bluegill would take it. Bass got there first!

Back out to the local pond fishing a Muddler Minnow using vintage gear - Southbend Bamboo Fly Rod and Shakespeare Fly Reel.

Was a little slow at first but managed to catch several Bass and Bluegill. Water was clear, could sight cast to most of the time.

Was frustrating at times as I could see fish look and then turn away from the Muddler Minnow.

Overall, the series has been a fun one to do!

#fishing #flyfishing #bass 

Betts Hand Tied Popper did well even after getting clobbered multiple times by fish! Fish were liking the pattern. But, I had to eventually swap it for another fishing fly.
#fishing #flyfishing #fun