Fly Tying

Tied some dry flies before heading out to the local pond that was recently stocked with trout. Although we struck out on trout, did overcome a situation... ran out of the Gink Dry Fly Floatant we have used for years. Fly shop was closed, so what to do?

Luckily, while stopping for coffee and donuts at the RaceTrac convenience store found Carmex at the counter. Made with 50% white petroleum jelly, figured it would work in a pinch.

Sure did... fly stayed on the surface without an issue!

PS: Was noted that it may be hard on fly line and leader. Since our motto is to "Learn to fish by our trials and errors", will try it out for season and see if our fly line and leader are impacted by Carmex.... More to come!

Been playing around with the 2wt fly rod we picked up on Amazon. Tried an Echo Ion Fly Reel and an Orvis Hydros Fly Reel as well as a WF 2wt fly line and a Rio Trout Max Skagit head for one handed spey casting.

After several field tests with the various components, decided on the following: MaxCatch 2wt 10' Nymph Rod, Orvis Hydros SL1 Fly Reel, OPST Commando Head - 200 grain, and OPST LazarLine

The 10' length of the fly rod makes for ease of line control of the Skajit head, the Orvis fly reel's tighter tolerances keeps the OPST Lazar Line from slipping under the spool, and the 200 grain Rio Trout Max easily casts for distance when the backcast is clobbered!

Even better, able to purchase all components at a discount by keeping an eye out for sales!

Here is a video that details how to fly fish without a fly rod using two methods - Bubble Fly Rigs and Spoon and Fly Rigs.

The Bubble Fly Rig is a proven method for fishing flies use a bubble float cast with a spinning rod and reel. It targets fish feeding on the surface, just under the surface, and in the upper part of the water column

The Spoon and Fly Rig is not as well known and limited information can be found online. But, it has been a consistent fish getter for those situations where fish are in the lower part of the water column, actively feeding on baitfish and other "tasty morsels"!

Do give them a try and keep them at the ready when fish flies are the go to pattern but you don't have a fly rod, still learning to cast one, or the situation warrants spinning gear over a fly fishing gear!

I still have a problem with calling it "fly fishing". Just because you are using a "fly sized" lure, doesn't qualify it as fly fishing.

All "flies" are lures, but not all lures are "flies". The size of the lure doesn't change the "style" of fishing.

If you're casting the lure to the target using weight and a spinning rod/reel, you're not fly fishing.

I can't say it makes me ... angry? ... and I don't know why, but this topic is definitely a thorn in my side.

I still have a problem with calling it "fly fishing". Just because you are using a "fly sized" lure, doesn't qualify it as fly fishing.

All "flies" are lures, but not all lures are "flies". The size of the lure doesn't change the "style" of fishing.

If you're casting the lure to the target using weight and a spinning rod/reel, you're not fly fishing.

I can't say it makes me ... angry? ... and I don't know why, but this topic is definitely a thorn in my side.

I feel the same burn here, Mike... maybe open a new thread... kick the ideas around some

f84, perhaps we should do another 1:1 fly swap, I still have the one you sent, although small bass chowed on it some..

I'm with you buddy. But then, we are crotchety old men.

It's OK if someone wants to fish that way, it just doesn't fit into the realm of fly fishing.

The definition I read and adhere too is that for it to be fly fishing, the line must carry the lure/fly, the lure cannot pull the line.

Thanks mikechell... guess its not a popular topic on a fly fishing forum. Bummer.

I feel the same burn here, Mike... maybe open a new thread... kick the ideas around some

f84, perhaps we should do another 1:1 fly swap, I still have the one you sent, although small bass chowed on it some..

Good to hear the fish are tearing it apart. Been doing giveaways on YouTube for the Near Deere and other fishing flies. Pattern seems to be working well in the local area ponds and rivers.

I'm with you buddy. But then, we are crotchety old men.

It's OK if someone wants to fish that way, it just doesn't fit into the realm of fly fishing.

The definition I read and adhere too is that for it to be fly fishing, the line must carry the lure/fly, the lure cannot pull the line.

Alrighty, two strikes on the topic. Confirmed not a popular one on a fly fishing forum. Lesson learned... stick to fly fishing with a fly rod. And, based on memory from one of Mike's past comments on Tenkara... don't count it as fly fishing, too.

LOL... here's to crotchety old men! :)

f84, don’t worry about offending anyone, there are just different definitions used by differing individuals... no universal rules on labels or meanings...

Nothing wrong with sharing how to fish with a fly on a spin rod here, that's fine to share. I don't think sharing that offends anyone. Far as there being different definitions of fly fishing, I can't agree with that. The actual definition of fly fishing is pretty clearly stated in Websters dictionary. Using a fly rod to cast a weighted fly line to propel a basically weightless lure (the fly) forward. That's not an opinion, that's the actual definition. So there is a clear definition of fly fishing. But again feel free to share whatever you like, no one will be offended or PO'd at it. Just be aware that it is not actually fly fishing is all so people will point that out.

Nothing wrong with sharing how to fish with a fly on a spin rod here, that's fine to share. I don't think sharing that offends anyone. Far as there being different definitions of fly fishing, I can't agree with that. The actual definition of fly fishing is pretty clearly stated in Websters dictionary. Using a fly rod to cast a weighted fly line to propel a basically weightless lure (the fly) forward. That's not an opinion, that's the actual definition. So there is a clear definition of fly fishing. But again feel free to share whatever you like, no one will be offended or PO'd at it. Just be aware that it is not actually fly fishing is all so people will point that out.

Steele, my problem is defining the fly, flure, phly, or tiny metal spoons that I flycast via flyline... I have fished many patterns, especially surface attractors, launching them with spinning or casting reels, with so-called casting bubbles. I did not consider myself flyfishing but casting/trolling/ spinning with “flies.” No longer am I certain as to what constitutes a “fly” except for the obvious airborne aquatic and terrestials.

Not that I am over thinking this stuff...eh, what... gotta go... trophy bride of 42 years says I need to take my meds;)

Thanks steeldrifter. No worries... this post and a similar one related to trout fishing with spinning gear stemmed from questions that came from our YouTube Viewers. Have found it best answer a question by posting the answer online - YouTube, Blog Post, online articles.... and then when the question comes up again, I can point them to our earlier reply/answer.

Update on today's fishing fun at Murphy City Complex Pond and McKinney Towne Lake. Trout derbies were held today; fished afterwards and was able to take a limit of trout. Made for a tasty dinner! Have video to post on the action today; will get it out sooner than later. For now, how about trout for dinner!

MaxCatch 2wt 10' Fly Rod and the Orvis Hydros SL1 lined with the Rio Trout Max are working nicely. Trout were really liking the Near Deere variant... rubber legs!

Just to clarify. I don't mind Spin fishing with a fly. I've used flies with spinning gear and (many times) with a cane pole. It's very effective when the fish are hitting small prey.

I just don't think it's "fly fishing".

Kind of like calling a bicyclist a "biker" because he's up on two wheels.