Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mikechell

July flies from the bench

I didn't think I'd have to start this month ... but none of the better tiers have jumped in. So, here's a batch of flies ready for next weekend.

I'll be second in line this month!

First two stimulators ever, both on a sz.12.

Then my first two EHC. One on a sz12, next on a sz14.

image.jpg

Nice .. standing there on the tips of the hackle. If it does something similar in the water ... you'll have to tie a bunch, 'cause the fish are going to tear them up.

I have a big trip planned for Florida. I have one day with a guide to go after peacock bass so I tied up some special flies for them.

10476112_861467707214797_344086673103132

10517578_861467703881464_653257572177184

singletrack ... how big are those hooks? I can't tell from the picture. I am from Central Florida, and we don't have peacock up this far. But from what I've heard, they hit hard and fast. You'll want a large, wide gap hook to get a point into flesh. Those deadly patterns should attract them, the hooks might not hook them.

I can't remember the size they are GAMAKATSU I think size 8 stinger hooks. The whole fly is about 2.5" long. So I am hoping to they will engulf it hole. This is the first time I have tyed flies like these so I was un sure of the proportions. What size stinger would you recommend mikechell?

Dryat (Animal) A Swedish dry for grayling I got the pattern from Markus Hoffman. Size 20.

post-43582-0-93694700-1404392253_thumb.jpgpost-43582-0-22816800-1404392274_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

C.

Dryat (Animal) A Swedish dry for grayling I got the pattern from Markus Hoffman. Size 20.

attachicon.gifMH Midge_0002.jpgattachicon.gifMH Midge_0001.jpg

Cheers,

C.

Nice variant of the pattern, that normally is seen with deer hair instead of the biot you've used. Thumbs up!

My trip to northen sweeden makes me fill boxes of flies, here's one, the left side is filled with Dyret in size 8,12 and 16...

The right side is Streaking caddis, goddards caddis and som Griffinth gnats... Not all nice ties, is a bit in a hurry...

post-13174-0-77145900-1404392718_thumb.jpg

Henrik

singletrack ... Peacock Bass WILL engulf the fly, but that is the problem. Just like rubber worms, with that mass of synthetic hair in their mouth, the hook might not get through quick enough ... before they spit it out.

But I am speaking from a position of hearsay ... in that I am going on what Iv'e heard, not what I've done. From the guys I've spoken too, (One's a guide) I would recommend a 1/0 or 2/0 hook. Peacocks are aggressive, but they are also getting shy to artificial bait, just like any catch and release fishery will. So, they don't hold a bait for long. I slightly larger hook will be in a better position to grab a lip than a small hook embedded in a bunch of hair.

But, we've all caught fish that seemed too big for the hook, I'm betting ... so I wouldn't sweat it too much. Tie some up with different sizes and see what your guide recommends. If your guide is like my friend, he's got a website and will be happy to tell you what to bring and if your flies will do the trick.