Fly Tying
rbob

Best beetle legs

I have experimented with almost every conceivable material for use as beetle legs. Hackle, deer hair, moose hair, porcupine guard hair, rubber, spandex, nylon bristles, nylon mono (Maxima chameleon), knotted pheasant tail, and more. Some better than others. None with the exact properties I've been looking for. Until today!

You have to try this to believe it: Power Pro braid in moss green. 30# (0.11), 50# (0.14) or 65# (0.i6) test. Has an excellent, buggy texture and the moss green is near perfect. It can be crimped with tweezers to form gnarly looking legs. I use Fiskars for cutting it; a slightly frayed end looks a bit like feet.

JohnandPaul_zps9652c98a.jpg

The black beetle has legs made from 12 lb. Maxima Chameleon the green beetle has legs made from 30# Power Pro. I have 50# and 65# Power Pro on order as I would prefer a slightly larger diameter leg. However the unique blend of flexibility and stiffness makes the Power Pro far superior to nylon mono which looks good but is way too stiff. Both beetles are tied on a size 14 hook.

Sorry for the delay. I am new to this and it took me a while to figure out how to post the pics.

Those look pretty good, Rbob. But PowerPro will get more "limp when wet. I'll be waiting to hear what happens. I fear your legs will just flatten up against the body when you work those beetles.

They looked good in my sink. I'll let you know soon. I also wondered about the stress of casting.

A thin coating of flexible cement might help.

the "best" is what works for you

A thin coat of uv resin should work also

12 & 20lb fly line backing makes good legs

salmonfly.jpg

blackstonefly.jpg

I have UV resin and will give it a whirl. I am also going to try a thin coat of aqua seal just to see. In my preliminary tests, the Power Pro does not go limp in water, remarkably it maintains its properties which are superior to fly line backing.

Those legs look fantastic! What is your technique for giving them the shape?

As for name brand I do not recall.

I bent the legs using a very hot bodkin and very lightly touching the backing