Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JayWirth

Q: on TN fishing

Ill be in Cleveland TN and plan on heading to the Cherokee National Park and fish the Hiwassee River the week of the 11th. My question, are there marked locations for fisherman parking / access along the river. I am finding it very difficult to find good information on the internet.

Jay-

Go to the Message Board of Little River Outfitters in Townsend, TN. They have up-to-date information on the E. TN Rivers. Also, you can call them and talk to Byron or Daniel, and they can give you some very good advice.

Tight Lines.

Bill

McGnat, that's about as good a map as you're going to get for access, either with a boat of afoot. Big thumbs up for that one.

Back from my trip and I must say the Hiwassee is a mighty river. I began at the bridge at Reliance, TN and found the Hiwassee Angler is no more - Further up Powerhouse Rd is a small country store / gas with what looks like the fly shop inventory. I hope this store keeps the flies stocked as it was a nice stop with some local flavor. I then headed back down down stream where I saw the most parked cars. Many pull off areas along the river and many sulfers hatching. Lots of people fishing from shore mostly with spinning gear and spoons. I tried a couple spots and did some scouting for a spot to wade. I had a hell of a time wading and actually fell during the struggle. A wet arm wasn't going to end the day so I headed back up Power House Rd. Again many pull offs and the river is picture perfect. Again I try to wade but find it difficult for shallow areas. What looks like good wadeable spots are difficult rocks surrounded by very deep holes. No fish for me that day. I did spend about 8 hours exploring areas. Ill be back - next trip Ill hire a drift boat for a better education on this (powerhouse) stretch of the Hiwassee.

Sorry to hear about the lack of territory to wade. As you say, you'll be back, better luck next time.

You can wade but have to learn the river a bit. Being a tailwater the level fluctuates depending on how many power turbines are running and a place you waded yesterday may be downright dangerous today. Great fishing though, especially dry fly. Drift boat is the way to go.

A note of caution though, the river is very, very popular with non fishing recreational users and I've had the boat so surrounded by canoeists and tubers that I literally couldn't cast so it's best to let them have that stretch of water during the summer weekends.