Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
kennebec12

What do you think of this crayfish?

Still trying to tie up a fairly realistic crayfish that's simple-ish to tie. Here's the best one so far. I guess it's also my first dabble into realistics, which I've seen patterns that I wonder if they could pinch me that put this to shame.

post-53186-0-48419200-1404789354_thumb.jpg post-53186-0-72523900-1404789372_thumb.jpg

I am not sure I like it ... but I am pretty sure the fish will.

It's going to spin if stripped ... hang up if crawled.

It looks like the fly is concentric on the hook, without any bias weighting other than the hook bend and point. This will make the fly prone to spinning, with those fiber ends of the tail leading the hook eye. A fleeing crayfish is pretty fast, in spurts, no tail fibers are needed for that presentation.

If you're going to crawl it on the bottom, the tail fibers should be okay, but you'll need a "weedguard" to keep it form hanging up on the bottom.

You've got a good start ... good potential to work with.

Good luck.

I was planning on fishing it stripped in quick then letting it sink for a moment and then quick again. I'll have to bring it down to the river to see whether it spins or not. If it does I'll try adjusting the claws first since I made them flexible.

Good option .. but if there's a bass in the area, you might not get much of a test. It will get eaten, no matter what WE think of it.

What do I think ? ...I think you got your mojo fly tying mind working and that's a good thing.

Carry on.

looks good, but I think it will do better dead drifted than stripped.

Big problem with almost ALL of our crayfish flies is that they are far too skinny compared to a real crayfish. Also after having watched hundreds of them from above, in and under the water, a fleeing crayfish flips its tail so fast that it is almost invisible. Almost looks like an egg shape with trailing claws.

I'm the first one to say that tying a fly to imitate another lure is silly, but take a look at a Rebel Crawfish plug if you want to see how a fleeing crayfish pattern should look.

Hi group,

That's a good looking fly; let us know how it works. If it spins in the water as already mentioned by others on the forum you might consider dead drifting it around weed bed. Also you migh consider putting weight on the top of the hook shank and tying the fly up-side-down so it is less prone to snag. Again, let us know how it works. Take care & ...