Fly Tying
ryveradair

hobbies

Ride a bike distances most people don't like driving, ski patrol, build rods, brew a ton of beer.

Those are the most time consuming hobbies, I have a few other minor ones.

mikechell, we are in the Meherrin River, northeast North Carolina

JSzymczyk, its all shallow water digging

Very cool. By the time I was living in N.C. ... I'd forgotten about looking for shark's teeth. To intent on looking for the enemy at that time in my life.

Great question. I am always curious what others like to do.

For me, I like being outdoors with my daughters. Paddling flat water and some whitewater. We get to waterski a couple times a year. Mostly I chase ducks and geese. Oh yes, building canoes and kayaks.

Michael

I gold pan, bring it with me on a lot of fishing trips, catch my limit and then pan my way back. I do outdoor survival and primitive skills (starting fire with sticks and such) also. I can get way out there on fishing journeys, sometimes 15-20 miles from the roads, so the primitive skills come in handy. I do a lot of hiking/backpacking in the White Mountains of Maine and New Hampshire too.

I forgot to add that I am learning outdoor survival/primitive skills too. Lately I've been working on a bow. Gone through 3 already that I ruined along the way.

Like so many others I have lots of interests. I played tennis and bowled for years, and thinking of getting back into them. I like woodworking... have made all kinds of things from furniture to musical instruments (dulcimers... have made 3). I've been involved in music all my life. For about 15 years, was part of a four-person folk music band, performing at fairs and festivals. I still get together often with other musicians to jam. Play a number of instruments, incl. guitar, bass, dulcimer, autoharp, clawhammer banjo, penny whistle, harmonica, and sing.

Hunting birds mostly woodcock, quail and ducks with my Brittany, a little deer hunting, turkey hunting, sail a 25ft MacGregor, fossil and rock hunt, some bamboo rod building, photography, build turkey and duck calls and some wood working.

I have done a bunch of stuff over the years but fly fishing and tying have been constants for the last 40 years. I played tennis for years, something that I am reminded of whenever I try to cast a rod heavier than a 7 wt. I canoed for years, have backpacked off and on since I was a Boy Scout and was a certified diver years ago. Currently my other outdoor activity is cycling, mostly road, which I have been doing to various degrees for about the last 25 years. I bird hunted with my father until I started moving around the country for school and jobs and just never started again after we settled down. I do miss those cold Nov mornings walking through a cut down corn field with the dog working in front of us.

Steve

Heh more hobbies than I know what to do with really. Photography, birdwatching ,archery, wood turning,aquarist,gardening, biking, hiking, fly fishing, fly tying, fly rod building, cooking, baking,pickling, cheese making, that's just a start. The cure for boredom is curiosity,there is NO cure for curiosity.

Newbe here, shoot combine bow and just got back into fly fishing, it's been around 40 years since I seriously fly fished. My parents gave me my first fly rod which they purchased with S & H Green Stamps back in 1962. I hope to restore the 5 weight and catch some trout. Mean while I'm using a new rod and buying flies but plan to try my hand at tying flies the Winter. Gary