Fly Tying
scgobbler

How to Clean My Renzetti Master Vise

How about Brasso? Used to polish my Dad's brass for him while he was in the Army.

SGN0095.jpg

Kimo

Nope,,, brasso leaves a protective film, neverdull does not..... brasso was specifically prohibited in boot camp!! If you were caught with it, you would be PT'd until you died. And then you would be PT'd some more.

Flytire is correct, I was wrong, aluminum doesn't rust. Steel corrodes, aluminum corrodes?

I think aluminum oxidizes, which I believe is aluminum speak for corrode. Aluminum reacts by pitting, over time, when exposed to Saltwater and acidic liquids like tomato sauce.

Kirk

How about Brasso? Used to polish my Dad's brass for him while he was in the Army.

SGN0095.jpg

Kimo

Nope,,, brasso leaves a protective film, neverdull does not..... brasso was specifically prohibited in boot camp!! If you were caught with it, you would be PT'd until you died. And then you would be PT'd some more.

Hey, I was just 10 at the time. And this was at Ft. Lewis, Washington. :)

Kimo

Recommend contacting Renzetti for their advice rather than experimenting.

Let us know what they say and how it works.

Thanks, Bob H

Kimo that was child exploitation. Did you spit shine his boots too?

Only the Oxfords!

LOL Probably a good time to revive this thread. It's been 3 1/2 years since it was started ... probably time to clean the vise again!

Thanks Kimo, very timely tip for me, now cleaning a vintage Norvise #022, for a friend. Starting with gentle soap, softest toothbrush I can get, and dental floss picks to carefully get some old grit out. The vise is in magnificent working condition given 4 decades of use as working tool, with fine esthetics too. Hope we find a buyer, as they say on American Pickers, that will give it a good home.

Need to learn best practices on the polish phase.

I'd give it a good home ... if it cost the same as free kittens. We have given many kittens a good home !!!