Fly Tying
Randyflycaster

Parachute Ants?

I've been tying some ants. The problem is, in the past, I had a hard time seeing the ants on the water. So I tied

parachute ants. My concern now - after reading La Fontaine's and Marinaro's books on dry fly fishing - is that trout

will see the parachute as it approaches their window and the ant won't, therefore, look realistic. (Ants don't have

wings.) What I did do was cut the parachutes short.

Am I over thinking things?

Randy

Parachute ants are a common tie...

http://www.google.com/search?q=parachute+ant+patterns&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=66e-U8fSB8_xoATB-YGwCA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1279&bih=664

...and Trout go nuts when flying ants are on the water...

PT/TB

I would use a bright colored wing post of poly yarn. Cut it low and burn it with a hot piece of metal. Then it still secures the wing, and gives a high visible spot to look for.

Alternative use a piece of foam as wing post.

Henrik

Like Henrik's suggestion. For trial this weekend, tying some this morning with short posts of yellow, gold, red, white poly yarn. Might tie some in neon colors.

Vaguely remember reading an article written by the Penn State fly fishing guru and professor (Joe Humphreys?). To compensate for diminishing eye sight, he was beginning to use "bright" winged flies. His experience was; little difference between high-visibility and drab,standard dries. Presentation being the penultimate determinate in catching fish.

What kind of ants are you tying? I tie foam ones, and when I want black ants, I just put a drop of white nail polish on the back. From MY point of view, I am seeing a white spot in the water. From the fish's point of view ... seems they just see food.

Flying ants are a very seasonal phenomenon, normally in late summer or fall. When they fall on the water trout go crazy for them but it is not something that you can plan on seeing at a specific time like an aquatic insect hatch. Regular non-winged ants are a very good terrestrial pattern to have during the summer on most rivers. Don't worry about the wing on the parachute, just don't make it too high.

Steve

Ants with and without wings find themselves in the water. The winged ones have swarmed to mate. Interestingly they have their mating swarm 24 to 48 hours before rain so the fertilized females can more easily burrow into the ground. How they know it is going to rain is a mystery.