Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
grandriverbumm

scientific anglers sharkwave lines

shark skin line? treat with any standard product. For floating lines I use silicone lube in a spray can that costs a fraction of the fly brand stuff.

I have contacted them directly (email) and will post the response in here in the event someone else is inquiring in the future. The line feels significanlty different that the material used for my previous line, this is the only reason I am curious about line conditioners.

On their site they don't sell more than the standard conditioner.

I hadn't heard of the shark wave, looks like the shark skin line they did with an extra raised layer forming this 'triple layer texture'. To be honest I'd be interested to hear how you find the line in actual use. I have used the original ridge from Airflo, the newer softer ridge and I've had a shot of the shark skin and I go back to a plain good quality Cortland or SA line every time. These ridged lines don't do anything for my pleasure.

These ridged lines don't do anything for my pleasure.

Nice and long, just not thick enough, huh Piker?

I can tell you that the original "sharkskin" lines weren't a very good idea at all.... and if they'd bothered to check with flyfishing guides down here in paradise they'd have heard the same thing...

It's a regular thing for anglers with me to get cuts on their line hand just from a day's hard casting and retrieving. I can only imagine what a sharkskin line would do. Unlike freshwater, in the salt or backcountry you're casting continuously in some circumstances. Anyone with an even slightly abrasive fly line should come equipped with band-aids...

Exactly. All the ridges do is hold grit and its like rubbing yourself with 120 grain sandpaper for 5 hours. Guess it helps sell gloves and line stripping guards. I tried wrapping some tape around finger before fishing and that lasted about 30mins so have gone back to the cuts.

She tells me everything. As long as she finds out favorite fishing spots ... I'm okay!!!

I am curious also. I just won one of these and have yet to put it on a reel and use it. Normally I just use a cleaning pad on my lines with a good washing at the end of the season, depending on how much I use it.

Steve

I use a sharkskin line on my 6wt. It's pretty good for distance casting on the ponds and slow moving streams we have here in central NC. It cuts through wind, and turns over well. I just use a soft cloth to clean it, much as I would any other line.

Here is the response from SA customer support

"Thanks for getting in touch with us. The SharkWave Ultimate Trout is a textured line and as such you never want to use any sort of cleaner or conditioner on the line. It will actually clog the texturing and attract grime and debris, rendering the texturing ineffective.

The best way to clean any line is with warm water and a small amount of hand soap. You can apply the hand soap to a wet cloth and run the line through it. The line can then be rinsed in cool, fresh water and laid in loose coils to air dry."