Fly Tying
jaymack

Dyna-King question

I am currently tying on a Dyna-King Kingfisher, which is the vise I got to start with last November. Since I don't really have anything else to compare it to, I have something I was hoping to clear up about it.

Since pretty much day 1, I noticed that I have to set the jaws tighter, rather than looser, when I tie say a size 8 or 10 compared to an 18 or 20. These hooks are a little too small to fit in the grooves in the jaws, and I have to crank down pretty good in order to get a tight hold with no slipping.

I have heard that the jaws have a sweet spot, but I have tried every possible looser adjustment, and it just slips less and less until it is clamped very tight, any tighter and the cam won't set into the notch.

The Kingfisher (like all Dyna-King vises,) has a cam lock feature. The cam lever has a small detent you can see this clearly of you go to the Dyna-King website and watch the Ultimate Indexer video. The proper adjustment of the forcing cone will allow the jaws to close fully into the position where the detent locks the jaws in place. If your having to use a lot of force to close your jaws on the hook, and the cam lever won't reach the fully locked position, then you need to loosen the jaws a little.

I always make sure the cam lever reaches the locked position, it just can't be adjusted any tighter in order to hold a medium sized hook securely. I can loosen the jaws with a smaller hook in there, and it will hold the same. This just seems kind of backwards to me, and I was wondering if this is just how it normally is with Dyna-King.

My older Barracuda does not have this problem. I can tie from about a 6 to a 20 with no need to adjust the forcing cone. Bigger than that and the grooves in the jaws are where the hook goes. Not familiar with the Kingfisher so I don't know if it has the same jaws.

Steve

I believe the Kingfisher has the same jaws as the Barracuda, smaller than the Squire and Professional. I can tie in that range without adjusting the forcing cone, it just does not need so much force for the smaller hooks.

I guess it just seemed strange to me that no adjustment is required, even though the wire diameter can be so much different. How tight do you have the jaws set?

Jaymack, I know what you mean. I use a DK Pro and tie mostly trout patterns. I can go from a size 12 nymph hook to a size 16 dry fly hook without any adjustment. I don't question it! It makes for less time spent worryin about adjustments and more time tying. Take it in stride, I say.

In case I'm missreading you here: Dyna-King jaws work opposite of most vises out there. The jaws are "pushed" into a smaller diameter instead of "pulled" into a smaller diameter. Because of this, the threading on the push collet might be reverse of that on a draw collet. Also, anything size 10 and smaller doesn't really require the hook pockets in the jaws.

It;s hard to tell with Dyna King vises whether or not you have good grip on your hook by how the cam feels alone. A properly adjusted hook should have very little resistance in the cam action until you hear the "click". PM me if you're still having issues

Sizes 6 and 8 are kid of an enigma on the Dyna Kings, and it takes a while to get used to where you need to go to get 100% lockout. The thickness of the wire of the hook matters too, and the thicker the hook, the more fine tuning you have to do. I did a lot of field testing on a Dyna King Barracuda which has the same jaw, and found that there was a bit of a process to find the sweet spot. Check out the write up. http://www.flyfishfood.com/search?q=dyna+king

I will make an adjustment from a 6 to a 22 on the Barracuda. I'll change jaws. I use the midge jaws only with about 16 to 22, maybe a 14 too. It isn't good for the midge jaws to tie with large hooks (wears it over time if slipping ever so slightly). When I use a 16 then switch to a 20, I seldom change the jaw's tension knob. The thicker wire hooks need more holding power than a small midge hook and the wire diameter gives it the extra tension when clamped. It may not hurt to tie a 10 or 12 in the midge jaws but I switch. Even more tension is needed if packing hair. I also clean the jaws, housing, and knob if they bind slightly when inserting the changed jaw. Then I lightly lube with Gunslick (any good fine smooth grease will do). I took a Dremmel buffer to a friend's vise jaws and housing once because it was caked with crud. He complained that his jaws were worn out but it just needed a good cleaning. Over time the slipping of hooks would have worn it out.

I meant to add to my post that I do not believe there is a sweet spot if the jaws are cleaned and buffed enough to remove any binding (but no more) when sliding it in the housing with your fingers. When I first bought my Barracuda I cleaned and lightly buffed the jaws and housing because there was a slight bind where the metal was hardened (dark colored). I can't detect a sweet spot at all with mine. Maybe there needs to be a bind to have a sweet spot. But, I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

I meant to add to my post that I do not believe there is a sweet spot if the jaws are cleaned and buffed enough to remove any binding (but no more) when sliding it in the housing with your fingers. When I first bought my Barracuda I cleaned and lightly buffed the jaws and housing because there was a slight bind where the metal was hardened (dark colored). I can't detect a sweet spot at all with mine. Maybe there needs to be a bind to have a sweet spot. But, I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

The sweet spot that I talk about is in the tension of the jaw to get it to hold, not a spot on the jaw. My Barracuda is only a few months old, so it's 100% clean. 90% of the time there is no issue at all with seating the hook, but sizes 6 through 10 can be a pain.

Regarding different jaws... I think a vise should be able to do it all with minimal adjustment and one single jaw. The Dyna King comes very close to this, but not quite.

I knew what you meant Cheech. When my Barracuda was new both jaws would bind a little near the darker metal where the hardening process started for the tip. I buffed them until there was no bind. I've done this with most all my vises in the past because I lean toward being a perfectionist sometimes. I bought my Barracuda not long after the model came on the market so it is an old one. Maybe the newer ones are different. I can't feel any resistance when I slide them all the way in. What I am saying is that it may be possible the bind causing a slight uneven pressure to appear. I know of nothing else that could cause it.

I knew what you meant Cheech. When my Barracuda was new both jaws would bind a little near the darker metal where the hardening process started for the tip. I buffed them until there was no bind. I've done this with most all my vises in the past because I lean toward being a perfectionist sometimes. I bought my Barracuda not long after the model came on the market so it is an old one. Maybe the newer ones are different. I can't feel any resistance when I slide them all the way in. What I am saying is that it may be possible the bind causing a slight uneven pressure to appear. I know of nothing else that could cause it.

All I know is that the Barracuda takes some micro adjusting to find that sweet spot, and my Griffin Mongoose takes minimal adjustment and pressure to get 100% lockout on any size of hook. I like the Dyna King a lot, but I LOVE the Mongoose.

I sold the Mongoose in my fly shop years ago when they first came out. I was pleased with the way it handled, and the price was decent, but I much preferred the Barracuda's unmatched strength and stability. Both are good vises, as are several others. I prefer my Park Avenue over the Town Car but both are nice cars. It is just a matter of preference. I never complained about my old hand-me-down Thompson A back in the 50s because there wasn't much to compare with. Now... There are so many it is hard to decide what is best. Same with bobbin holders. It used to be the Thompson, then the Griffin, then the S&M but for now it is the Rite. Before someone spends hundreds on a vise they should stop in a few fly shops or check with TU friends and try out some first hand. Especially the over rated and over priced LAW if you can find one.