Fly Tying
cloutier172

trying a wallywing what do you think?

I saw a pattern the other day using wally wings. I had never seen this before so I though i would try my had at it. Interesting way of making wings. What do you think of my first attempt?

post-53490-0-85291500-1405423262_thumb.jpg

post-53490-0-88816000-1405423265_thumb.jpg

post-53490-0-95529600-1405423268_thumb.jpg

post-53490-0-85397900-1405423271_thumb.jpg

post-53490-0-78017600-1405423274_thumb.jpg

post-53490-0-70635100-1405423277_thumb.jpg

First off thanks for posting. Always hard to post a picture of something you've tied especially when its your first post. I have never tied this style either so wont offer any advice other than the obvious that the wings are slightly off centre and one is longer than the other. I would guess this will affect it floating upright and might spin in the cast. But if that is the first go then plenty of good points to go with.

Thanks. The wings did not end up where i wanted but i was happy with the over all look. I was more trying to see how this wing was tied. i like the look of the wing and i think i will use this style on a couple other patterns that i need wings on. this looks better than most of the wings i have tied. after seeing how easy it is to tie i will be adding this tool to my arsonal. I am just youtube trainned so i will take all the feed back i can get.

Not a bad first try. It just takes practice to get the proportions and balance. I did a few of these several years ago, but I didn't find them to have any advantage over a standard bundled fiber wing. They may look more realistic to us, but the fish don't seem that impressed.

Not bad for a first try. Keep refining your technique. It'll take a few tries before you "get it". Here's a few pointers

1. shorten the wings by almost half. As mentioned, this style likes to twist your leader if too long or off balance.

2. body style is just a little too bulky (to my eye).

3. The head is a little big. Either move everything a bit closer to the eye or just leave some bare shank behind the eye, a la Catskill style.

4. Use some head cement. It looks like your thread is coming unraveled.

Keep at it! :)

Like Shoebop said, the overall fly needs a little refining. Your wing (no matter what type,) should be the same length as the full shank length. The mounting point for the wings, should be about 2/5ths of the shank length behind the eye. The body, will fill the back 3/5ths. Make a very slight taper in the abdomen from back to front. And thin down the body a bit. Compress the hackle wraps behind and infront of the wing. The hackle wraps should be touching each other.

There is a loose loop of thread at the eye, which means your head will come undone. A drop or two of head cement will hold it.

Practice your finish knot before you tie any more flies. Tie on, and then immediatly make a whip finish. Do this over and over again about 12 or 20 times, and you won't have any problems with it as you finish up a fly.

Its not a technique you are going to get first time. Practice, practice, practice, is the way. I always make them oversized and cut them down to the required size, by pinching the wings together and cutting just the pealed stems together as one. That way they are all exactly the same size. Once the stem is cut I break (rip) the fibres off at the tie in point.

Where I mostly use Wally Wings is on large Wulff type flies. The heavy hackle and calf wing means that they will often float face forward on their hackle with the tail in the air. Wally Wings provide a highly visible light weight alternative.

Making the fold in the feather is a fiddly process, as I make a fair few of these flies I've made a tool to old the feather. Used properly the feather comes out of the tool, folded, and held in the correct grip to tie it onto the hook.

WallyWingTool_0003_zpsf298b1c5.jpgWallyWingTool_0004_zpsbc8b5eec.jpgWallyWingTool_0005_zpsa1673872.jpg

This little gadget has saved me a lot of messing around. So far it has done about 250 and is still going strong.

Cheers,

C.

I thought it looked really beautiful till everyone told you what was wrong with it. Now I hate it!!!

But the bluegills I fish for will eat anything (like Mikey in the TV ad), so I'm sure it will work... even upside down.

Everybody gets that wrong ... being a "Mike", I've heard it most of my life. It goes ...

"Let's give it to Mikey. Yeah, he won't eat it, he hates everything. (pause) Hey, Mikey!!! He likes it !!!"

About the fly. When I first saw that, I thought ... "That fly will fly!" But I think it'll spin as it does. Still very nice first try.