Fly Tying

Just bought myself a J-vice. Basic set up just Vice, pro jaws, bobbin rest and clamp

Cannot wait for it to arrive.

Congratulations on obtaining a new vice. I've noticed, over the years, that my hand on a 'Thompson' style vice is slightly positioned differently than on my Renzetti rotary. I like being able to position my hand like as on the Thompson (left hand in the act of holding and applying materials). The J-vice looks like the best of both worlds! Think I may have to look into that vice in the future.

Enjoy your vice - seldom do we get to enjoy our 'vices' so much except in fly tying eh? lol (apologies.. had to)

BCT

I am in the process of designing in my head a nice base. Spotted a piece of Cherry which will do but now trying to design a way to mount the vice.

Idea one is to use something like This:-

http://www.microrobo.com/10mm-universal-aluminum-mounting-hubs-18009.html

Idea 2 is to mount in the side rail a 10mm internal diameter tube with a 6mm hole in the side. Then have a 6mm threaded tube inserted a 90 deg and a ^mm screw to tighten against the vice shaft.

Has any one else made their own I could copy or get ideas from.

My wood work skills are minimal but hey ho.

That robot wheel in link one is basically Jays desk stand with more holes around the base, Jays have just 2 holes for screws. I use that and now I've seen your link I think I'll buy an extra as spare.

Can anyone give me the footprint dimensions of the J-vice base. I am not sure how big or small to go.

Thanks.

It's Ok I found it. 14 1/2" by 10 1/4 "

I'd like to buy one of those... either the micro hub or the jay's stand. Can anyone name a source? I didn't see one on the hub site you posted.

Never mind... the hub site had a Shop link. $10-12, depending on size.

Happy new vice.

If I had to get a new vice that would be on a short list of two or three. Certainly one of the best available today.

Cheers,

C.