Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
pnptrapp

One of the ugliest flies and one of the best flies

Just started tying flies. These are a couple that I did the first night I got my kit. The white one is supposed to be a usual, and the second one is my version of the woolly bugger. I kept calling it a woolly worm and got so excited I forgot the tail. I would be glad to hear feedback on them both.

post-53566-0-16019200-1406332412_thumb.jpg

post-53566-0-66829400-1406332413_thumb.jpg

Yes I can see they are close. The tail on the Usual is a little bit thick, and the wing is a little bit thin. The wing should be as long as the body. The tail looks to be the right length, but its hard to tell from the picture.

You indeed have a woolly worm. The hackle was tied in reversed. You died in the base of the hackle at the rear of the hook, and wrapped it forward. The hackle gets thinner as you go forward. The more common way to do the hackle on the woolly worm or woolly bugger is to have the tip of the feather end up at the bend, and the base of the hackle end up at the front.

There are 2 ways to do this. If your not going to rib the fly, tie the hackle in at the bend by the tip. Then wind forward so that the slightly longer and thicker part of the hackle ends up behind the eye.

The better way is to tie the chenille in, then tie in some fine wire or even 6# mono for a rib. Then take your thread to the eye. Tie the hackle in by the base with the tip extended out over the eye. Wind your body forward, and tie it off. Trim the excess chenille. Now wind the hackle back to the bend, and using your hackle pliers to hold the tip there, wind the rib over and through the hackle to the front.

This method will produce a more durable fly with the hackle getting slightly smaller and finer toward the rear. The rib wrapped over and through the hackle will reinforce it. If your hackle is long enough, you can make 2 touching wraps at the eye, and then spiral back. Take two or three turns of the rib right at the back of the hackle to firmly trap it before spiraling the rest of the rib forward. Finish the fly by tying off the rib and forming a small head.

With a little practice, you will have these down in no time.

Thanks! I didn't even realize it was getting narrow towards the eye of the hook and now that you point it out I can totally tell. I will definitely make a correction there.

Thanks feather. Both of these have been fished. I make my hubby test them out and tell me how they fished, then I make corrections and fish with the new ones!

Welcome to the forum! I have been tying since mind March and I can attest to all of the fine folks. They are very patience and helpful to new people learning this wonderful hobby. Do not be afraid to try anything...You will never learn if you don't give it a try!!!