Fly Tying
pnptrapp

Mystery feather identification

Over the last couple weeks I've been going through my materials and identifying what I have and what it's used for. This has been a little challenging since alot of the materials in the kit were identified by using an ink stamp. This stamp was smudged or wiped completely off before I got the materials. I think I've got most of them identified but the feather's pictured below I have no idea and have no idea what they would be used for. Any help would be appreciated.

post-53566-0-24315700-1406477276_thumb.jpg

post-53566-0-23396900-1406477483_thumb.jpg

post-53566-0-54316100-1406477685_thumb.jpg

It seems like mallard feathers, but unfortunatelly I guess the quality it is not good. :(

They are used for many parts of the flies (tails, wings, throat, legs, etc), but only the thick fibers (the tips). Those fluffy fibers on the bottom of the feathers normally are discarded, but they can be used in dubbings as under bodies, small fluffy tails and others parts. :)

Big Hug ;)

Small mallard flank was my first reaction also. In that size they are not a lot of use. Some may be big enough to make small Wally Wings (See my avatar).

Cheers,

C.

Actually, I like to use those smaller ones as cheeks on baitfish flies.

I know that you wrote that they came in a kit, but to me they look a lot like what you might find near a park lake or pond lying around from all the ducks. I've got mallard flank bags and they don't have any where near that amount of fluff. Like others have replied, you can still use them, but it's going to be pretty limited.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks. We fish for mainly bass and bluegill/crappies, any suggestions on what patterns I can use these in?

Ya I wasn't sure if I was going to be really into tying flies so didn't want to spend a lot of money. The materials that were included seem to be pretty divided. The thread, fur and extras are all seemingly good quality but the feathers, I'm finding after googling, searching here and watching videos are very sub par.

Looks like Mallard "breast" feathers too me. I don't see Mallard "flank" feathers there much. Anyway, some useage but you do want a better package and purchase Mallard "flank" feathers. They have some good usage for nymphs and streamers. Here is a pattern that I use Mallard Flank on and love it.

Stayner.jpg

For Sunfish ... the small fluffy stuff near the root of the feather is basically miniature marabou. You can pinch off amounts of this material and tie it on small flies where you want subtle motion when the fly isn't being moved by you. It creates the same waving action on the fall and slow movement as marabou does on larger flies.

As PondStalker shows, you can carefully tie in the long straight (or nearly so) barbs to create wings for small flies. Since sunnies will hit anything that looks like a bug or a minnow, you should be able to get some nice bream killers out of those feathers.