Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ikerajala

Popper colors.

Hello,

This morning I lost a pencil popper in a tree. The popper was glittery. I was only fishing a few moments and I'm not sure how effective it may have been if it were not for that

tree. I would like to create some more. I am unsure what a good color would be for a popper used on bass and panfish. I was thinking probably white with a red lip like a

hula popper. Remember these are made out of pencils so they are small. I guess if I really wanted to figure out what worked best I would experiment with different

colors, but I would like to shorten the learning curve a little.

Any help would be fantastic. Thanks.

post-30867-0-61849500-1406487909_thumb.jpg here"s one example straight from my pencil sharpener! I also get great results from just plain white with painted on eyes a splash of red on the front and red curved lines for gills.

Thanks,

I just tried something funny! I tied a dave's hopper and in place of a spun deer head I put a piece of yellow #2 pencil! It looks cool but I'm afraid it will shatter on the first rock

it hits while casting on a trout stream.

Olive, Chartreuse and other various shades of Green, Yellow, White, Black, and Red, either predominately in one color

or in a combination of these and other colors can all be effective for Bass and Panfish depending on factors unknown

to me. My favorites are Olive(my frog), White, and Yellow.

Poppers made with real pencil wood, cork, or hard foam can all shatter if they hit a rock hard enough at the speeds

a fly line moves.

click on the Fly Pattern Database (top of this page) and search for poppers. You'll see a variety. Better yet search Popping Bugs on Google images.

Ok, I'm fishing a shoreline that parrelels a submerged break water formed of boulders. I fish the shoreline in the early morning hours for small mouth bass. The bottom is sandy

and the water is cold and clear. It always seems a little choppy first thing in the morning. I can barely stay in the water over an hour before I become exhausted and my teeth are

chattering! I think what keeps me in the water is the thought of releasing a west slope cutthroat by accident while bass fishing. I like to cast over the break water and retrieve my

fly over the boulders. Next I walk down the shore 5 yards and cast again. The water around the break water is only 5 or 6 feet deep.

Lots of choices ... just have to visit fly tying sites

Here's a few:

post-52210-0-16841700-1406644910_thumb.jpg

post-52210-0-87043100-1406644937_thumb.jpg

post-52210-0-09998600-1406644969_thumb.jpg

post-52210-0-38130000-1406644983_thumb.jpg