Fly Tying
rbob

TROUT CANDY!

Winged McMurray Ants. Balsa wood abdomen/head; Moose body hair legs; Produce bag wings.

post-53416-0-24690900-1406565708_thumb.jpgpost-53416-0-71045600-1406565784_thumb.jpgpost-53416-0-52031700-1406565887_thumb.jpg

How are the heads attached to the hook shank? (thread? wire?)

Have you used them yet? I'm curious as to how sturdy they are.

The two balsa pieces (abdomen and head) are threaded and glued onto a short piece of 8 lb. mono which is melted at each end to prevent the balsa from pulling off. This is the weak link in the construction. They are NOT super durable but fish well enough to make it worth it. They always stay on the surface - and no floatant is needed. The wing material is reflective which makes them easy to see, especially on relatively slow stream flows.Yes I have used them. The takes are very confident. I used to sell kits that contained all the supplies needed to make a lifetime supply, including detailed instructions. I did a McMurray Ant construction seminar at a local shop and most first timer were pretty successful making the bodies.

They are not made using balsa dowels. They are shaped from square stock using an emery board. See above regarding my kits.

I bought square balsa dowels at a craft store to make mine. I took some sandpaper to them to round them. I made some for nostalgia sake and they work.