Fly Tying
JayWirth

Head Cement

I have used Wapsi head cement for years and have always purchased it by the qt. My supply is running low but I am no longer ably to buy this in bulk. Im pretty sure this is a standard clear lacquer and am thinking of trying lacquer used for furniture & instruments. What are others using and getting in bulk??

I am also quite fond of gudbrod head cement (cir 1970 and am getting down to my last couple jars).

Me too (for Sally)... but I hear Sally has a newer, better variety.

I used Sally Hansens Hard as nails but found that my fly box started to smell really bad. I just couldn´t handle the strong chemical smell.

Started using Loon Hard Head and kinda like it.

Second for Loon Hard Head. I was using Dave's Flexament and it worked but found it would turn white after application now and then. Don't like that.

Try vinyl cement HH-66 and vinly cement thinner HH-66. Thin the cement to water-consistancy

before using.

For high gloss use lacquer and thin it to your liking.

Yep that is old school. High gloss =lacquer, and dull = vinyl cement.

Skinny

I have used Wapsi head cement for years and have always purchased it by the qt. My supply is running low but I am no longer ably to buy this in bulk. Im pretty sure this is a standard clear lacquer and am thinking of trying lacquer used for furniture & instruments. What are others using and getting in bulk??

I am also quite fond of gudbrod head cement (cir 1970 and am getting down to my last couple jars).

==================================

For last 20 years I am using only nail-polish.