Fly Tying
Adventure568

Hair extension kits

I was searching the web and came across some hair extension kits with feathers. They were synthetic feathers and were all different colors with grizzly. I was wondering if anyone has tried these before. There was a kit on Walmart for 2$ and it came with 20 long feathers. Any advice or opinions is appreciated

Thanks

From what I can see it looks more like a synthetic hair than feathers, I'm sure you could find a use for them with big streamers.

I got some at Target awhile back. It was synthetic grizzly in various colors, it was hair not hackle. I used it for large streamers and it worked well for that. Cheap too.

I've used it for making toys but not for flies (yet). What I used was like synthetic hair, but heavier and stiffer. I doubt it would work for tiny trout flies but bigger streamers, maybe even clousers, but I never saw any in a variety of colors (I only found black). A few strands might be tied for hopper legs instead of using pheasant tail or peacock (which is fragile and doesn't hold up well).

post-52210-0-71311700-1406588863_thumb.jpg

I guess it has come full circle then.... a few years ago there was the CRISIS of the hair-hackle craze, we couldn't buy saddle hackle at all anymore, the hair style places bought them all at ridiculously high prices-

now fly tyers are buying hair extensions.

amazing.

I actually purchased some of that synthetic hair in a combination of colors from an Ebay seller in China a couple of years ago. It's barred like grizzly, and very long, I think 15". Not a bad material for tying large streamers. It's not a hackle, so can't be used as such. I haven't used it much, but it's a perfectly good material for tying. Not something I would use alone, but combined with other materials it's fine.

However, take note of the price. It's cheap from some sources & not so much from others for the same thing. (As many of the things we tie with!)

If it's of interest, I suggest shopping around. I think I got 100 of them for around $6 shipped. Only issue with buying from China is the shipping time.

I guess it has come full circle then.... a few years ago there was the CRISIS of the hair-hackle craze, we couldn't buy saddle hackle at all anymore, the hair style places bought them all at ridiculously high prices-

now fly tyers are buying hair extensions.

amazing.

Now that is funny as *ell and jacked up....LOL