Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
AK Assassin

Paraloop tying question

Do you need a tool for this technique? I have been attempting to tie a paraloop griffiths gnat with cdc and hackle. Having trouble with the hackle being a little sparse.

Nope, no tool necessary, although depending on what you are using for the post, it can help. Some tie using superfloss or the like as the post material, and in that case it is a bit easier if you can stretch the material to an anchor (e.g. a lamp hanging above your vise), but you can also just double the material and hold it in your off hand as you wrap the hackle. Ned Long used to wrap the hackle up and back and would put enough hackle on that if you pulled on it once completed, the hackle on the post would not rotate. His name for the paraloop Griffith's gnat was the "Hedgehog" I believe.

Another method is to use a loop of monofilament/fluorocarbon as the post instead (Bob Quigley used this method). Just make sure the loop is long enough so you can comfortably hold it taunt while you wrap the hackle up and back down before tying off.

I prefer a gallows tool which came with my Jvice when tying paraloop flies. It makes it easier, imo. Recently fished a few paraloops in mont. and they were very effective.

I have only tied a few of these but i made a gallows tool out of a heavy wire clothes hanger, a spring and an aligator clip. Worked pretty good and was cheap.

I was going to post this earlier but I too made a gallows tool from a coat hanger. I actually don't need an additional spring, like the above post mentioned, as the hanger itself is springy enough. I don't always use it, especially if I'm only tying one or two flies but it is really nice to have a third hand when doing parachutes or paraloops.

I was once shown a technique where elastics fro bracers was used as a post.

The smart thing was that you stretched the elastics while turning the hackle, and when done, you simply stopped stretching the elastics, that way the hackle was locked without need for extra tying in etc.

Then simply tie down the elastics as a normal post.

Unfortunately I'm out of elastics, and cannot therefore show images.

/Henrik