Fly Tying
kimjensen

Most commonly used colors for baitfish patterns?

this is my killer pattern for bait fish. even the boat man was shock with the catch. this 7 hook is tied on a rig.

most important put a luminous on the hook as shown by the arrow.

post-49537-0-26649400-1467550552_thumb.jpg

hi, for bait fish I used white or chartreuse fibre. Interestingly those fly without luminous only work near shore. That is at the jetty.

At the offshore, bait fish only take those with luminous. why??

PipPipPip

221 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:40 PM

I pretty much only use brushed out white 4 mm Bonnie Braid for EP style flys. BB is the same stuff as EP Fiber as far as I can tell (comes in all the same colors too) but I can buy a lifetime supply for around $10, I just have to comb it out.

If that's true this is a great tip & find! I just checked the stuff out, $9 for 100 yards of it.

Most bait is white. But if you don't use chartreuse, there ain't no use! That's my story, and I'm sticking with it!

Most bait is white. But if you don't use chartreuse, there ain't no use! That's my story, and I'm sticking with it!

you are sticking to what color? white or chartreuse?

Do not give up on dark colors. My local inshore waters are very dark - like dark coffee - and my most successful flies for Redfish are all dark purple and black.
My other fishing zone is the beach. There the silt turned the surf into a milky white tone. I noticed that my white colors were not easy to see. I started fishing with dark green, olive, and purple colored baitfish shaped flies and immediately got strikes.
I think that bigger bulky flies that move a lot of water are more important when fishing in dark water.

So far my instincts have proven correct.

Coryphaena made some good points, for clear waters matching hatch will do you fine, tying whatever forage is around, but in churned up, muddy, cloudy waters, you would wanna tie darker colors because theyll hit based on the silhouette, blacks, purples, dark olives, etc, over darker colored bellies rather than white. clear water either match the hatch or use light colors, chartreuse, pink, yellow (over a white belly usually)