Fly Tying
Brian Myers

vise advise

I've been reading through reviews on the web looking for a new vice. I want to go full rotary and have been looking in the $150-200 range. I believe I have narrowed it down to the Griffin Montana Mongoose or the Peak rotary. I have not seen either in person nor do I expect to until I have ordered it. Most flies I tie are in the size 10-4 range for panfish ,smallies and carp. I do tie larger and smaller than this though just not as much. I do have 2 questions for the owners of these vises.

(1) The distance between the arm and tip of the jaws looks a bit short on the Peak, anyone with one find the arm gets in the way? It just looks a bit crowed to me, can't easily tell the distance on either vise from pics.

(2) I have seen comments on tying Clouser minnows on a full rotary and still needing to flip the hook over in the jaws to finish it. I really hate having to do that as it just interrupts the flow but if I need to then oh well but on flies like most carp flies, such as headstands and back stabbers , do you feel you still need to flip the hook over in the jaws or just rotate the vise?

I would appreciate any input on the pluses or minuses you have found in either vise.

Brian - Count me in as a very satisfied user of the Peak Rotary Vise. To be fair, I have not used the Mongoose vise, so I can't comment there. However, for the price I believe that one could not find a better vise than the Peak Rotary. Tying flies is much more enjoyable because of the rotary features and the ability to access all spots on the hook as you tie. I, also, tie primarily from size #12 to size #4 for Bass, Panfish, Trout, etc. Jaws are easy to use and hold hooks well. Plus, the vise does have add on capability for some other great Peak accessories.

BTW, nope don't work or have any connection with Peak. Just a satisfied customer.............................................................................

I have them both and have used both extensively. They both have huge upsides, and you will enjoy them both. My 2 cents... The Mongoose will hold ANY hook you throw at it with 100% lock out. I tie musky flies on 7/0 Trokar hooks, and with a small turn of knob I'm tying a #32 midge (yes, I fish them). I think the Mongoose is the best vise on the market right now. The Peak can struggle to keep hooks at 100% lockout, but you probably won't notice unless you are doing some heavy hitting (deer hair). My daughter uses the peak, but sometimes struggles to clamp the jaw tight enough. Either way you will have a high quality item that is made in the USA.

See the review I did on the Peak last year. http://www.flyfishfood.com/2013/04/peak-vise-review.html

Cheech

Steve W. - Thanks I already read that shootout, it's one of the reasons I was looking at the Peak. That and all the favorable comments on it.

Cheech - Does your daughter have trouble closing the cam ? I have Fibromyalgia which does affect my hands most days and was wondering how hard it would be to close the cam on the Peak. I am currently tying on an old Thompson A vise and lock down the lever using my palm.

[snip]

(1) The distance between the arm and tip of the jaws looks a bit short on the Peak, anyone with one find the arm gets in the way? It just looks a bit crowed to me, can't easily tell the distance on either vise from pics.

(2) I have seen comments on tying Clouser minnows on a full rotary and still needing to flip the hook over in the jaws to finish it. I really hate having to do that as it just interrupts the flow but if I need to then oh well but on flies like most carp flies, such as headstands and back stabbers , do you feel you still need to flip the hook over in the jaws or just rotate the vise?

In answer to #1, depends on what your previous experience is. People who come from traditional vises (e.g. non-rotary [Thompson A], rotary but not true-rotary [HMH Spartan]) often complain about the end of the hook being crowded. Have tied with both styles myself and I never found it to be so, but you might be one of those.

For Clousers on a true rotary fies, you just rotate the vise and tie on the bottom. Removing the hook for the jaws is not necessary, although they do make special purpose vises for this sort of work.

Between your two choices, I'd recommend the Peak.

I have a peak and looked at the mongoose. I have no doubt it works fine but the peak has more features and add-ons which are useful( see accessory post). This ability to slightly customize sold me on it. They also have a saltwater jaw that you might want to look at. Have fun!!!

I have a Montana Mongoose. I agree with cheech. They will hold a hook awesome!! I use my own vises now but I liked it. I still have it. Plus if you ever do break the jaws it has a lifetime guarantee. I will say there customer service was excellent. I lost my material clip spring, they sent me one no questions asked. They were also were willing to upgrade my vise to a newer style for nothing too. All I had to do is send it in to them and they would swap out the parts. I chose not too though. To be fair here I must say I never had a peak.

I have a peak and looked at the mongoose. I have no doubt it works fine but the peak has more features and add-ons which are useful( see accessory post). This ability to slightly customize sold me on it. They also have a saltwater jaw that you might want to look at. Have fun!!!

The Peak has more stuff that you can buy... The base model is fairly bare bones (Which is perfectly fine by me). The Mongoose comes with both a pedestal and c clamp, bobbin rest, and the best material clip that is available on any vise. With those accessories on the Peak, it will run you more than $200.

Steve W. - Thanks I already read that shootout, it's one of the reasons I was looking at the Peak. That and all the favorable comments on it.

Cheech - Does your daughter have trouble closing the cam ? I have Fibromyalgia which does affect my hands most days and was wondering how hard it would be to close the cam on the Peak. I am currently tying on an old Thompson A vise and lock down the lever using my palm.

She does have issues closing the cam on larger hooks. I'd say that I have to help her get it dialed in about 50% of the time. The Mongoose, renzetti Traveler, etc (Cam lever type jaws) take very little pressure to get 100% lockout.

The Peak has more stuff that you can buy... The base model is fairly bare bones (Which is perfectly fine by me). The Mongoose comes with both a pedestal and c clamp, bobbin rest, and the best material clip that is available on any vise. With those accessories on the Peak, it will run you more than $200.

I thought mine came with a griffin bobbin and hackle gauge too.

I thought mine came with a griffin bobbin and hackle gauge too.

You are correct sir. I forgot that part.