Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
barrytheguide

Blackbird wings

I realize that Blackbird wings are not legal here in the USA but I love to tie the Greenwells Glory with the hen wings. My old supply has long since run out. I have been using duck quills, but I don't like them so much as the blackbird

Anyone suggest something else? Other than starling. I've been looking for a roadkill blackbird here in California for the last couple of years, but no luck. My other half did find a heron not long ago, but she rightly left it alone, boy there great for Speys.

If you happen to know of a set of wings the " a nod is as good as a wink to a blind man". Nod, nod, wink, wink!!

There are several varieties of black chickens... the Australorp for example. Couldn't you use them?

Are you not allowed to buy from a place they are legal? So long as you have the receipt then no issues??

I bought a starling skin a couple of months ago. They aren't protected. BTW, picking up a road killed bird is no defense. Just having the feathers or carcass is the illegal part.

I always thought the original was tied with a Starling because they are European Blackbirds. If you want a blacker feather, try crow. Legal to possess and a fine but I think overlooked bird by most tiers. Get someone to shoot you one if you do not hunt and skin and borax the skin.

The original used hen blackbird. Now illegal here as well. I've been searching for a better sub than teal for years, but haven't found one.

Cheers,

C.

I agree with Troutguy about the crow. The feathers are about as black as you can get and they are legal. Their necks have good feathers for darker soft hackles also.

Check your local regulations. Since crows are considered a migratory bird, there may be open and closed seasons in your area. (It's unlikely, but still, better checked and not needed than busted for shooting one during a closed season.)

The hen blackbird used for the Greenwell's isn't black. Its brown. The search continues.

Cheers,

C.