Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
barrytheguide

Blackbird wings

In the last 12 years or so, American Crow populations have been decimated by West Nile Virus. Fish Crows populations do not seem to be as adversely effected..

The range of the American Crow covers most of the US while the Fish Crow is found more in the south eastern sections of the country.

If you're gunna take a crow for feathers, make it a fish crow...

Actually, the virus killed off a lot of crows initially. Recent counts have the numbers back up to "pre-virus" levels, according to most of the websites I was able to find.

I don't support killing animals and birds just for pelts or trophies. These days, synthetic materials will allow fly tying to catch fish.

Demanding the death of critters for furs and feathers JUST to tie flies (without utilizing any other part of the animal) is like believing Rhino Horn will help your virility, thus killing them just for the horn is okay.

Or sharks JUST for fins ...

Elephants JUST for the tusks ...

Sorry ... sorry ... just started getting ticked off, again.

Keep ticking Mike. I'm with you. You realize they breed special chickens just for hackle. Don't know of anything synthetic that replaces hackle, but I wrote weeks ago wondering if they use the rest of the chicken for food... never saw a straight answer.

Yeah, someone wrote back that they render the chickens into fertilizer for the grain fields for the chicken feed.

But there's a difference, as far as I am concerned. Animals raised for their hackle are not the same as wild animals, and harvesting those do not impact any wild species.

The number of individual American crows is estimated by BirdLife International to be around 31,000,000. The large population, as well as its vast range, are the reasons why the American crow is considered to be of least concern, meaning that the species is not threatened.[1]