Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jfinn

Parachute Adams

Starting to try my hand at parachute flies. Looking for some positive criticism of my parachute Adams.

post-16687-0-06677800-1407342116_thumb.jpg

Looks pretty good.

It's hard to tell, but from the picture, it looks like there are some gaps between turns of the hackle.

Is that a hair wing? If so a stacked wing will look a lot better than a clipped one. Functionally it won't matter though. If it's a synthetic wing then never mind.

Looks good -- as Jaydub pointed out you might work on making your turns of hackle closer together, but that fly will catch trout. I have started winding the two hackles at the same time on my P. Adams, and that seems to work better than trying to wrap one, tie it down, then wrap the other in between the turns of the first one. Just a thought.

Thanks for the feedback. It is a calf tail wing. I will try wrapping each hackle separate instead of at the same time.

Looks good definitely fish ready!

Here are a couple quick points from a fellow novice:

-The body should taper more from the tail to abdomen. suspect the dubbing noodle should be thinner where you start at the tail.

-I prefer the parachute hackle end near the end of the body rather than extend past it

-As mentioned by others, getting the hackle wraps tighter together will result in a more stable and better looking fly

-Stacked rather than clipped hair posts do look neater but probably don't impact effectiveness of the fly

On a positive note:

-Nice job not trapping to much hackle

-The eye isn't crowded which is great

-Dubbing looks nice and tight

Hi jfinn,

The hackle is just like the length I like to tie mine, right to the bend of the hook. You should tie it so the wraps are closer together overall to the hook shank and not so high up on the post. Two hackle's on an Adams parachute is a waste of one color & hackle, you only need the grizzly or a Cree. I've written this tons of times that yes, technically, it's not an Adams, but a Gulper or Ansel Adams, but the fish are never going to know it or care because they're looking up at it from below. The tail could be just a little longer, but you have the right amount of fibers and make sure to keep them splayed out.

Regards,

Mark

This fly will fish fine and I use a Cree neck feather soonly needthe one feather. Your tail is alittle short and body should start further back on the shank (right over barb. Im nit picken here and please, dont mis-understand me , its tied nicely, just tighten up on the turns on the post and fly should up-hold the riggers of fishing

Bruce

Yes, Cree is my favorite rooster color. I too only use Cree on my Adams parachutes. You could even get by with medium barred ginger saddle too if you have a hard time finding a true Cree. The trout is going to see the size and profile of the fly before the color of it. That being said, proportion and tight wraps is more important than shackle color, imho.

I don't want to hijack Jfinn's thread, so if anyone has the answer to this, please PM it to me: where does one find Cree dry fly hackle? I've tried and tried, but no one ever seems to have it.

Again, please PM me if you have any leads on this.

I don't want to hijack Jfinn's thread, so if anyone has the answer to this, please PM it to me: where does one find Cree dry fly hackle? I've tried and tried, but no one ever seems to have it.

Again, please PM me if you have any leads on this.

The Feather Emporium has Whiting Cree listed at his site with half capes, full capes, and 100 packs. Scroll down a ways on the page to find it. Here's the link.

http://www.featheremporium.com/Fly-Tying-Feathers/whiting-dry-fly-capes.html

Regards,

Mark

jfinn, the Cree I have and have seen looks like a grizzly hackle with shades of ginger to brown mixed in amongst the feathers. The ones I have seem to have some color variation within the neck I have. Do a 'google' you'll see.

BCT