Fly Tying
breambuster

"My Trout Box Needs Help" Swap

I'm in. black nosed dace streamer, clouser style. Absolute go to for me. I forget the size, I think it's 8 or 10 (isn't that crazy? I fish it all the time but my supply is endless and I just tie 'em on, so I'll have to check the flies ...). I'm in VA, it has been a winner in MD, VA, and WV trout waters.

All done.

I was sitting down to tie for a while today and had no flies I really "needed" to tie so I figured I'd just knock 'em out.

post-52247-0-41890500-1407367555_thumb.jpg

Breambuster, thanks for having me once again. I think I will do some dries but I'm not exactly sure what it will be. I will let you know soon.

Chase Creek, I believe that I will break out the unicorn hair and bigfoot fur for this one.....

Sorry, Shoebop, you just missed it. Djtrout was the 12 swapper. I'll keep you in mind in case we need an alternate. But thanks for taking an interest in the swap and I hope we can swap together again soon.

Jimboha & Djtrout, you are in. Dj, you just BARELY did make it as the 12th swapper. Looking forward to swapping with both of you. Glad you signed up.

And Netabrookie, it's a good thing you spoke up last night when you did. You would have missed it otherwise. Monkey hair, ferret whiskers, unicorn hair and bigfoot fur!!! That's going to be a GREAT fly. Can't wait to see it!

Take care

BB

Hey Guys, something I meant to put in the initial post to this thread and forgot, so it isn't a requirement of the swap, but for those who would, a materials list posted to this swap thread or a link to instructions for tying your flies would be great. Especially those of you who are tying the Southern Appalachian patterns. I would love to learn some of the patterns that have been developed for our Southern Appalachian fish. Again, you aren't required to, but if it isn't too much trouble, I would appreciate it.

Take care

BB

Breambuster I was thinking that shoebop could have my spot if would like I have been in every swap so I was thinking I should give someone a chance .

In keeping with the Southern Appalachian theme, I was thinking maybe an orange palmer, or perhaps an orange stimulator - probably in a 14 or 16. It all depends on whether I can find enough orangutan fur and grizzly Phoenix hackle...

Jimboha!

Sounds great, Jimboha! Can't wait to see it? BTW, where do you get your orange orangutan fur? It's naturally orange, right? None of that dyed stuff!

Take care

BB

Hey Guys, Joseph Russell says that he is really busy with swaps right now and that we would be glad to give his spot to Shoebop. Shoebop has agreed to take that spot, so it's going to be Shoebop instead of Joseph Russell.

Take care

BB

Sounds great, Jimboha! Can't wait to see it? BTW, where do you get your orange orangutan fur? It's naturally orange, right? None of that dyed stuff!

Just trying to compete with the Monkey hair, ferret whiskers, unicorn hair and bigfoot fur. innocent.gif Yes, naturally orange but very hard to come by. The Phoenix hackle is great until it bursts into flame so the bird can be reborn from its ashes... For the safety of the rest of the flies in your trout box, I shall probably use something more mundane like genetic chicken hackle.

Just for an instant I had thoughts of dropping out and giving shoebop my spot just to get even with BB for making me try to learn to spin deer hair. Then J Russell stepped in and saved the day. Actually, I'm going to try to learn spinning but when I read someone's article on learning spinning technique it suggested tying a hundred flies, then razoring them all and starting over. I'm not up for this so if the spinning doesn't work for me it's back to hair and hackle. I am going to try to sneak into one of the neighboring farms and try to snip a few hunks of Yak hair and Llama hair if I can get them to hold still. I'll use that for backup if spinning doesn't work out. I do think a good learning fly for spinning could be the Muddler Minnow. Having known Dan Gapen and had some of his early Muddlers and Ugly Bugs, I know they'll catch just about every fish that swims.

I didn't find spinning deer hair to be overy difficult. You mainly need to learn how hard you can pull your thread before it breaks and go right up to that point. The deer hair WILL spin unless you take measures to prevent it from spinning. I wouldn't think you'd have to razor anywhere near that many of your first efforts.