Fly Tying
breambuster

"My Trout Box Needs Help" Swap

Breambuster, if it is all right with you I will tie some Carolina Wulff's. I can't seem to find my unicorn or bigfoot hair but think I can tie up an extra fly or two for you with either black or blue wildebeast, gemsbok, impala or muskox. I guess I could have used some white horse tail for a body and said it was unicorn but that wouldn't have been very honest. Some of those shows about the fellows tracking bigfoot up in the mountains isn't very far from where I live so I'm not giving up on the bigfoot fur....

Carolina Wulff sounds good to me. I've never even heard of it, so this will be a great learning opportunity for me. I will be trying to google it to get an idea of what it looks like.

Take care

BB

Think I'll do a "Howell's Trip Saver" (a pattern I found on an Appalachian fly site; I'd never heard of it but it's a cool looking little fly. To me anyway...)

The first set of flies is in! Wschmitt's flies are here and they are NICE! A Pheasant Tail Soft Hackle. A double-whammy! Who can argue with either or soft hackle or a pheasant tail? But this fly has both. You've going to love it.

Thanks, Will, for the extras!

Take care

BB

BB, after trying to spin some hair I gave up rather quickly. Found part of the problem is bucktail is not the thing for spinning and that's what I have much of in everything from natural to every color. Last fall I had a whole hide laying in front of me at a nephew's house and all I saved was the tail. I didn't know I should save most of the belly and body hair since I guess that's what you need to spin.

Anyway, I picked a nymph and a dry out of the link on the other thread and have them ready and will get them out soon. No deer hair yet in this swap but a guide designed nymph and a yellow bodied gray hackle supposed to be right for your streams.

PS...The nymph is called JAWS...Just add water. Pretty simple tie and if it works like guide says it should be a good one to add a few to the box. Very specific on dubbing and happened to have what's called for so one of the reasons I picked that one.

Hey Guys, Vicrider's flies arrived today and he has submitted 2 flies for everyone! And they are both SSSWWWEEETTT! You're going to love having these in your box. And thanks, very much, Vicrider, for the extras. My fly box is going to love THEM too!

Take care

BB

Just looking over the flies I had to choose from in the link in the other thread, I think you must have a lot of yellow sallies in your area. Lots of yellow used in the flies for the Applachian streams. The yellow bodied Caddis I threw in there for you sure seems to me to be nothing more the a Stimulator without the orange front section. Once again the theme is yellow body tho.

OK, Vic, thanks. I took a look at a YouTube video of a Yellow Sally Dry, also. The main difference was that your caddis has a white wing and the pattern I saw on YouTube has a yellow wing. And your Yellow Bodied Caddis is certainly something that I'll keep in mind if I ever happen to see some yellow-bodied bugs on the water. Thanks for letting me know.

Take care

Chase Creek, your flies arrived today and they are VERY nice! And thank you very much for a BUNCH of extras. That's going to help fill up my Trout Fly Box & they will definitely be put to use on the water. I noticed that one of them has a yellow body and it looks like VERY fine wire? But it has hackle like a dry fly. What is the body made from?

Thanks

BB

I need an address as mine are ready to ship.

FYI...I tied a caddis emerger soft hackle (sz 16). A great option in just about any stream or river that holds trout. Fish it dead drift anywhere in the water column (deep or shallow) and give it the Leisering lift at the end of the drift.

Folks are doing a great job getting flies in, I had to re-check due date. I am traveling lately and next week for business, but flies are almost finished; they will be in mail by Sep 1. I also have a surplus collection - I'll throw in a few extra (albeit old) flies for your consumption, happy that they might get fished ...

Thanks, Djtrout. Your extra (albeit old) flies will be greatly appreciated. And I appreciate those who have and who will soon have their flies in. I would love to finish up ahead of the deadline.

To all the swappers, on several occasions in other swaps, we have gotten past the deadline and someone would not have their flies in yet. I would contact the swapper(s) whose flies were still missing and they would say they had forgotten that they needed to tie flies for that particular swap. So guys, if you are getting a notice about this swap, it probably means that you need to get busy and tie up a set of flies.

Also, please remember that while it is not a requirement for the swap, if you wouldn't mind posting either a material list or a link to where information about your pattern can be found online, that would be most appreciated.

Thanks

BB

My materials list is as follows-

Thread -Black Danville 6/0

Tail-Natural Pheasant tail

Wire-Small Copper Brown

Body-Tail fibers wrapped forward with wire counter wrapped

Thorax-Peacock Herl

Soft hackle-Hungarian Partridge Natural