Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ckpj99

Hello from Ohio

I've been lurking for months. Finally joined up. I live in Cincinnati, OH. I learned to fish and tie when I was a youngin' and spent all my summers in New Mexico. I've always fished, but recently started fly fishing here. It's a different game: very few trout waters, bigger hooks, flashier flies.

I make my living as a photographer and journalist. I really enjoy tying traditional trout flies, but I'm trying to adapt those skills to panfish and bass flies. Tied my first cork and foam head poppers this past month.

Loving the forum and resources!

Welcome to the mob ckpj. you'll find everything you ever need right here, with lots of knowledgeable folks willing to help. But if you've been lurking, I guess you already know that. Let's see your ties.

Welcome. Folks here from beginners to world class tiers, and all more than willing to share information and techniques freely.

Don't be shy; if you have a question or a problem, feel free to blurt it out. Someone will have an answer or solution.

(Check out the Photography Forum - some of us could probably use your advice there.)

Again, welcome.

Welcome to the site, Buckeye.

Well, get to photographing those flies and fish and journalizing the catches there !!!

My grandparents were from Brooksville and I kind of recall several small creeks in the area. Lots of sunfish, lots of Large Mouth Bass, some Perch and a few Walleye or Sauger.

Still waiting for pictures !!!

Thanks, y'all. I'm going to post a series of images this week of a fly collection and materials stash that was passed to me from my dad who bought it at an estate sale. Looking forward to that. None of my recent work is really photoworthy, but I'll post something soon.

Welcome from Greenwood, Indiana. You have 2 great trout water areas near you. Brookville Tailwaters and the Mad River. I have never fished the Mad but plan on it one day. Your trout flies will also work on panfish and the occasional bass.

Welcome ckpj, glad to have you. You may already know this, but in addition to the trout waters Prybis mentioned, northern Ohio also offers some very good steelhead fishing. The Cleveland Metroparks system (believe it or not), offers very enjoyable fishing for steelhead and smallmouth bass in the Grand, Rocky, and Chagrin Rivers. Conneaut Creek in northeastern Ohio (just east of Erie, PA) offers outstanding steelheading as well.

Living in Cincinnati, you are, of course, just across the Ohio River from Kentucky. If you visit the Northern Kentucky Flyfishers' website at http://nkflyfisher.org, you'll find links to detailed maps and other resources for trout and smallmouth streams in both northern Kentucky and southern Ohio.

Looking forward to seeing some of your ties!