Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tctrout

"Trout & Feather" website introduction

He's got some patterns on there that would work for other species, worth a watch.

I am sure he does. But so does every other site out there. When I am searching for the species I fish for, it's just automatic to skip anything that's NOT labelled so. With 375,892 sites ... you just can't open EVERY one.

Very true, we can't open every one. It is great how much information there is out there. Have a number of tying books but rarely crack them open.

Unfortunately, you've locked yourself into trout with your name. There are so many other fish. No trout in my part of the Country, so I just skip over sites that are exclusive.

He's got some patterns on there that would work for other species, worth a watch.

Thanks for the comment, Mike, and you're right to extent. The name was deliberate (and has personal meaning), plus there is no doubt that more trout patterns are on the site than others (which is intentional due to my twenty-five years experience tying mainly those patterns).

More explicitly, the focus is on instruction and techniques, regardless of pattern. As the site grows over the next few years, I will be emphasizing more on techniques and tips within fly tying, plus showing the transition from vise to stream. A variety is something I've set to achieve, with my most recent 12 videos containing:

Organizational methods with dubbing

Tube Flies (three in the series to this point)

A carp fly

An all-purpose streamer utilized by trout and bass fisherman

A saltwater pattern that can double as a crayfish

A technique video

Four trout flies

There are lots of great sites out there, and I encourage others to bring them to our attention. There is only so much time when we're not fishing to examine fly tying sites, thus I hope mine grows into a favorite of fly tyers young and old, species notwithstanding.

William, thank you for the kind words and I'm glad you enjoy the site! If you have any suggestions on how to improve it, please let me know. As I mentioned previously, I would like to add additional categories, and plan on doing so in 2015 (with those coming quickly to mind including saltwater patterns, tube flies, and carp flies).

On a related note to your comment, I keep buying fly tying and fly fishing books for a never ending library, plus all of the magazines (which I have reduced greatly over the last few years). Pair all of that literature with the Internet, and I have no idea how we find time for it outside of fly fishing!

Thanks again for the comments; I'm happy to share my passion with others,

Tim