Fly Tying
vicrider

head cement dispenser

Like a dummy I didn't copy this before I tried to post it and lost it.

I am tired of screwing the cap for my head cement on and off each time I finish a fly. Especially when I'm tying a series of flies that go relatively fast for me. I have seen videos where the tier used a bottle similar to my bottle of cement but has a little sealing plug that he just lifts out the little needle with cement, then dabs and puts right back in again. I haven't seen these in any of my orders but wonder if someone has a site that has them and can point me in that direction.

Thanx, Nick

Okay, found it myself. In the words of Gilda Radner...Oh, Never mind. (Rosana Rosadana)

A cork with a stiff wire through it works pretty well. The wire can be adjusted for a shallow penetration into the cement. The idea comes from Henry Hoffman.

Headcement.jpg

Okay, I didn't find it myself. On second look it seems like the bottle I looked at still needs the lid unscrewed. Does the Renzetti?

Jaydub, your idea looks about the simplest I could think of. Wait a minute...if I could think of it I'd already have one...so guess I didn't think of it...WHAT?

Anyway, thanx guys.

i tie flies in batches and apply head cement all at once

one bottle, one needle and one operation

Good whip finish = no head cement

Waxed thread = no head cement

Yep Nick, if you are tying 5, 10, 100 flies. Dont be varnishing between every one. Just tie them all and then whallop, varnish them all in one go. No varnish I've seen goes solid that fast.

Actually another reason I like the loon water based head stuff. You can mix it as runny as you fancy and it soaks right in.

If I might suggest a different tip for applying head cement.
This the end of a sewing needle that holds the thread that has been cut off diagonally.
It will hold a bit more cement in the loop that is created when you dip it into the head cement.
Got the idea from model builders. I also use it for spreading CA.

head_cement_bodkin.jpg

Kimo

I keep my head cement (Sally Hanson's) in a small jar with a screw on cap. I use a toothpick to apply it. I also put a THIN film of Vasoline on the bottle threads. That keeps the cap from sticking to the threads. I think the Dyna King reservoir is probably what you're alluding to, if you want to spend the bucks for it.

Okay, I didn't find it myself. On second look it seems like the bottle I looked at still needs the lid unscrewed. Does the Renzetti?

Renzetti cap unscrews but it has a conical seal that sits on top of the bottle and the dubbing needle goes through the cap and seal. The seal and needle sit on the lip of the bottle while you are tying. Screw the cap back on when you are done.

I like the plastic dispenser bottles with a needle in a tube. The biggest complaints I've heard was:

(1) Glue drying in the tube. It doesn't if you insert the needle after each use. It fits all the way through the tube to seal it off. If there is any hardening, caused by not using it for months, just slide the needle in and out several times. A thinner can be used if needed. I have never needed it and I've used them for over 10 years. I also slightly bend the needle for a tighter fit.

(2) Hard to insert the needle into the tube. If you place the tube tip on your finger and slide the needle into the tube using your finger as a guide it is not hard.

(3) Sometimes comes out too fast. If you hold the bottle upside down in your hand too long, with glue in the tube, your body heat can expand the air inside and cause it to come out faster Just don't hold it upside down until ready to apply. Also, don't squeeze the bottle. Use light pressure.

I like the way the tube dispenses a small drop at a time. It is easier than dipping and applying with a needle. I also like the fact that you don't have to remove a lid as you would a jar. You do not have a lot of air entering the jar every time you open it so the cement doesn't need to be thinned as much. It may take a little time to get the hang of it but it was worth it for me. I use mostly solvent glue (except on synthetics). I like Thick and Thin Griff's or Loon.

I don't like the needle applicator with the cap. They will clog, and impossible to clean. Be sure the needle goes all the way through the tube for a better seal.

I have never tried to use Hard as Nails in the needle applicators bottles. Might be too thick. But I like way the brush lays it on larger flies. I also have Lagartun Lacquer but prefer nail polish. I have a couple jars I keep empty because I like them. One is an old Orvis, with a trout tail holding the needle but the lid doesn't fit tight enough. Cement evaporates too fast.

A cork with a stiff wire through it works pretty well. The wire can be adjusted for a shallow penetration into the cement. The idea comes from Henry Hoffman.

Headcement.jpg

I'd like to thank you and Henry Hoffman. I did just what you show and love it. Had a cork sitting on the bench that fit perfect with no messing around, drove the bobbin thru to make a track for a needle and now I can pop cork off easily with one hand while holding hackle guard in place and put that dab on that's probably not needed anyway but makes us feel better.