Fly Tying
vicrider

head cement dispenser

A cork with a stiff wire through it works pretty well. The wire can be adjusted for a shallow penetration into the cement. The idea comes from Henry Hoffman.

Headcement.jpg

I'd like to thank you and Henry Hoffman. I did just what you show and love it. Had a cork sitting on the bench that fit perfect with no messing around, drove the bobbin thru to make a track for a needle and now I can pop cork off easily with one hand while holding hackle guard in place and put that dab on that's probably not needed anyway but makes us feel better.

Agreed. I just got back from the hobby store with corks and needles.

spm

• The needle application works better than the tube on small flies. It appears the bare needle may not be easily seen and get knocked over. I'd clip off the top part of the needle, paint the top with white lacquer and add a large metallic roe red hot bead or cone with epoxy. It would look great. I have bamboo rod tips for bodkin handles and it would look good on the jar too. May even make handling the cork better as well. Wrapping thread in the needle with a small bead on top would also be nice. Griffs thin is my go to cement. There is more to fly tying than flies. :-)

A couple of fine points about the wire-through-cork applicator:

1. You may find that the blunt end of a wire delivers a more controlled drop at the end of the wire than a tapered needle.

2. The reason for the long wire is to adjust the length, so that it only penetrates the cement slightly. That way you don't have a whole needle full of cement when you only need a small drop. Then it can be pushed in progressively farther as the level of cement lowers.

You are looking for a Renzetti Applicator Bottle

renzetti applicator bottle

ft-renzetti-applicator..jpg

I just recently bought this bottle shown and it seems to not allow any head cement on needle. when I grab the needle to apply head cement barely anything is on the needle or it is a large amount at the top. (not needle point). Any tips on making this thing work better would be great. Otherwise it is back to the old way.