Fly Tying
FlaFly

One and two-finger whip finishing

I've never yet gotten around to tying out my whip finisher... I've been doing simple loop knots with a ballpoint pen. For those of you who are just like, me, I found these two videos on how to actually whip-finish with one or two fingers. I realize I'm opening myself to attacks from those whose religion requires the use of a whip-finisher, but I think lots of folks might like to try this anyway.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-whip-finish.html

I whip by hand, it's a good thing to learn, but each person should decide what's best for them.

I never did get the hang of the whip tool I have. dry.png

Even if you use the tool, you still have to learn to whip by hand for those few instances when you have to finish the fly where the tool cannot reach, or more likely, when you forget you whip finisher at home.

Had never seen the single finger method before. Thanks for that.

I can. I've got very, very calloused fingers from playing guitar so sometimes thread gets snagged. I prefer to use my whip finisher.

Wavey

I am a guitarist/banjoist/ukuleleist/dulcimerist/bassist too, and have had callouses since I was 8 years old, but they're on my left hand, and I tie with my right.

I use my hands or a whip finisher depending on the time of the year, because they get very rough in the winter, and the size of the fly I'm tying. When I tie flies 18 and smaller I use the whip fishing. It's easier for me to be more accurate with the knot when I use the whip finisher on the smaller flies.

I don't have ENOUGH callouses on my left fingertips because I don't play guitar enough each day... and I learned to whip finish by hand a year or so after I started tying as a kid. Way before internet, and I still remember the light bulb going off as the big idea hit me- I'd tie half hitches by hand, and on a #8 black woolly worm I took two wraps around instead of one for a half hitch, paused, thought about it, and made three more wraps around before pulling it tight. I'd replaced guides on rods prior to that (thread tensioned by passing through a couple of big books on the table) and had the concept in my head from that, pulling the tag end back through with a separate loop of thread so I knew what it LOOKED like ha ha ha. Anyhow, I never owned a whip finish tool for probably the first 25 years I tied flies. Now I find I use it much more often on smaller flies, tighter spots, and finer threads. On bigger flies I usually still finish by hand. I get by just fine either way.

If I was as good at guitar as I am at tying flies I'd be somebody cool again....

Wavey

I am a guitarist/banjoist/ukuleleist/dulcimerist/bassist too, and have had callouses since I was 8 years old, but they're on my left hand, and I tie with my right.

Been playing a lot of finger/hybrid picked stuff the past couple of months, that's roughed things up good and proper lol

You finger pick bare-knuckled? I do too but use my nails, not my nubs. Leo Kottke picked bare-knuckled too.

Convenience. My Martelli finisher is sharpened on the end so I use to whip finish, then turn it around to snip the line tight.

I whipped by hand before the whip finisher came out and it is hard to break the habit. I have about 4 or 5 different models of whip finishers and learned to use them all because I sold them. When I'm tying I do not like looking for the tool and can do it just as good by hand. I found the two finger whip is easiest with better control of tension and control than the one finger. It is well worth learning and getting used to.

I've never learned to whip by hand. I started with a Materelli and like Ed, it's a hard habit to break. I didn't even know about doing it by hand until I saw it on this site. Since then, I've never sen the need to learn it. I don't tie "streamside" so there's no "leaving it behind".

I learned how to use a Thompson, because it looked neat.

I grew up with the Thompson, then by hand, then matterelli's, now I have 1/2 dozen or so for different jobs. all should be mastered if you want to really learn the art.

I don't tie real small flies. For many years I just used 3 or 4 half hitches and applied head cement and never had any problems with the thread coming undone. I did finally learn to whip by hand. I do own a tool but I am not good with it so I just hand whip with 2 finger. with a whip finish I sometimes get lazy and don't apply head cement.