Fly Tying
Auriga

Fly tying instruction

Interested in finding someone in my general area or a class for some one on one instruction. I am willing to travel up to 60 mile radius of Okeechobee.

If nobody here comes up, you might try the florida chapter of the International Federation of Fly Fishers. They have a website, and you might find tying clubs and/or teacher. Warning, though... most clubs you find in Florida will be salt-water only. I think Orlando has a club, probably the closest freshwater club to you.

There are lots of instructional videos on YouTube. Not exactly what you're looking for, I know, but they might serve to move your skills along while you're looking for a class or instructor.

There are several of us on this site who hail from Florida. I don't recall any who are from the Okeechobee area. You do have Clewiston, Palm Beach and Port St. Lucie within your distance. Any or all of those will have some type of fishing club. There are sometimes fly fishers who haven't "come out" in those clubs.

As far as the fly fishing clubs being salt water ... although true, there are also fresh water guys in them. If you can find one in your area, you'll find the people who will be happy to help.

Good luck

Thanks for the useful hints and suggestions. There is a freshwater club in the the Stuart area called "Fly rod Bass and Bluegill"

Many, if not most, of us are self taught. You don't really need a class, as such, but rather a mentor. Check with the local clubs to find out when they plan to have a fly tying session, and then plan to be there.

Also, if you have an Orvis shop nearby, they often have fly tying sessions where you can pick up the basics. It's really not hard, but it does take a lot of practice to get good at it.