Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
HalfDunn

J-Vice Base

Having got my new J-Vice I then set off on my goal to make a base. I had in mind some nice hard wood and after trolling ebay but not finding a suitable piece of wood I put a wanted ad and got a reply from a wood worker who happened to have his workshop very close to me. "I can do all that in Oak - it's what I do" I went to His work shop "Works In Wood". We had a natter about what I required and he not only supplied the wood but offered to make the base for me which I grabbed with both hands. I sourced the hardware and this is the result. Thanks Works in Wood.

NewBase_zps804eb617.jpg

Now with lights fitted. Just need to get a rechargeable 12v battery pack and it will be full portable. The bar supporting the lights can be removed as can the bobbin holders if I so desire.

Baseandlights_zps240c6c93.jpg

Is the desk stand from the website you found in another thread? Looks good with the brass caps. Certainly looks good on oak.

Is the desk stand from the website you found in another thread? Looks good with the brass caps. Certainly looks good on oak.

Yes thats the one. Buffed up with my Dremmel. I wanted to use something other than wood screws so went for stainless steel machine screws and Gold annodised dome head nuts to add a bit of bling I got the nuts from Pro Bolt who make bling it up car and motorbike accsesories.

I had Jays own stand with two SS screws. I find that the stand collects off cuts of fluff and I like to clean around it from time to time but an air puffer like those for camera lenses works well.