Fly Tying
pnptrapp

Measuring how much deer hair to use

for streamer heads I use a uv resin. no thinning required

or use sally's hard as nails straight out of the bottle

When I use the stacker tool a lot of the tips are still not even. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for the help.

When I use the stacker tool a lot of the tips are still not even. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for the help.

You need to really give the stacker a few good sharp wraps on a hard surface to shake the fibers down. Invariably there still will be a couple or so that didn't want to conform, just pull those out.

You want to comb out the underfur before you place the hair in the stacker. This makes all the difference. Any comb will do.

Thanks Jaydub & Johnnyquahog for the info. Obviously I am still a novice tyer even though Ive been tying for a few years. Living in north Florida there isn't anyone near me to learn from. I get out to my daughters in Colorado once a year to fish and would love to catch a trout on my own flies. I have caught some Browns, a Greenback Cutthroat, a few Rainbows and one Brook on the Big T about 2 miles from the Gem lake trailhead. Landing a trout is just a bonus to the beautiful scenery.

Well marc, you have some western experience and you must know what flies got those fish you mentioned above. Sounds like you need to practice some of those patterns for starters. You certainly can get some help through here in the forums.

Thanks Dave. It seems no matter which ones I tie, having checked on what is hatching that time of year, I invariably have none of what the fly shop and guide recommends. In the 6 or 7 trips that I have made, I have caught trout on several different flies which leads me to believe if I use a fly that is close to what is either hatching or under the rocks I might do as well. On my first few trips I went out with the same guide who taught me what to look for under the rocks, in the air and how to read the water to know where the trout lie.

I go out with him now on every trip as I still have a lot to learn, but it sure is fun.